Error copying files to External Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcbride1983

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Ok I have got some pretty good help from everyone on here so far so lets see if anyone can figure this one out. I have a WD Passport 320GB External Drive and it shows 298GB Available. Ok fine. Now it says I still have 185GB used and 112GB free. But here is the problem, I can not copy any more files to it because it has an error that says "Cannot copy *****.*** There is not enough disk space. Delete one or more file to free disk space, and then try again. To free up space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click Disk Cleanup." I can not figure out how I am out of disk space. I should have pleant enough to copy whatever I want to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RomDA_73

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
IIRC, WD Passports have software that allow the owner to "write-protect" the drive. Maybe that's what happened? Can you also try the drive on another computer?

You can also check if there's really space left by going to Windows Disk Management (Windows+R, type "diskmgmt.msc", Press Enter).

Last resort is to see if you can back-up the drive, format it, and try again.

jmcbride1983

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Well as for the write-protect, I have never set that and I use this drive on a daily basis. I back up all my movies, games, music, etc. I just never had it this full. Disk Management shows that there is 298.02GB Total and 112.71GB Free(37%). I am stumped. This makes no sense to me. I am going to contact WD today and see what they say. If you think of anything else, I will be open for any advice. Thanks.

jmcbride1983

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Well, I figured it out I think. WD support told me that since the HD is FAT32 format, I can not copy files larger than 4.0GB in size. I have to backup and then format the drive to NTFS. It sound correct but I would like someone to verify that this is correct because I do not want to spend forever copying files for nothing. This is a lot of data to move around and is going to be very time consuming. Thanks.

ambre

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hey I am also having the same problem and I was wondering if you could help. I tried copying mine in smaller parts as well but it won't even copy something that is 3 MB. I don't know how to check if i write protected the drive. Oh yeah, it works when I use it on a PC but not on my iBook (older version of macbook).

I am in Mexico at the moment and cannot call the US and need to back up all my stuff because I am ALSO having problems with my iBook which randomly started shutting down with no warning after about 40 minutes and not restarting until the next day. If anyone knows anything about either problem please help! Specifically the WD passport so I can back everything up before by computer turn on for the last time!!! Thank you!

jmcbride1983

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The filename can not be more than 25 characters (I believe this is the number). Fat32 does not support filenames as long as NTFS does. Try reducing the length of the file name. Hope this helps.

pgp20

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

Split larger files into smaller ones using a software like HjSplit, and then try copying. It worked in my case.

ironmummy107

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Well, it seems as though the problem is the size of the file, since FAT32 won't accept anything over 4GB. I think I figured out a solution without formatting to NTFS: split the file into manageable pieces, and designate the output source as your external HD, then just join them together there. I haven't actually joined them yet, but it's splitting them up now as I'm typing, and once they're there, I see no reason why it couldn't put them back together. Fingers crossed, hope this helps.

Stephanie Mohan

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I was in a bind and having the same issue.....the solution was so ridiculously easy......I dont know if it will work for you, but my issue was I was given a G5 tower for a photo camp I teach. I have six of them and they all work great. Unfortunately could not copy any of the kids work onto the external drive. I sifted through really complicated answers on Adobe and Mac sites that I did not understand. I found the answer.....so easy. The computer was given to me by the wife of someone who died. It had been sitting in her garage and the date and time were off. I corrected this and viola.....it works. I dont know why but I am thrilled. I hope it works for all of you.

Ajay Chander R

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
Halo Pal,

Thank you so much for the information . i did have the same problem and what i did was changing the name within 10 character size under FAT32 mode in my pen drive. It was really helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.