Question Error Downloading Apps from Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Jimmernick

Prominent
Jul 8, 2022
I have always been able to download whatever I wanted on the microsoft store up until about a year ago. When I download an app or game from the microsoft store, it will say acquiring license, then an error will pop up directly after saying "something has happened on our end." Error code 0x80070005. I have tried a variety of methods such as restarting my pc and router, deleting and redownloading the microsoft store and xbox app, attempting to download the game clean boot mode, clearing the cache of the microsoft store through file explorer, and I even tried to reinstall windows 10 using the windows.iso file (after the download completes i get a message that windows 10 installation has failed) A solution to this failed reinstallation of windows 10 could also be a viable way to get my microsoft store working again. I know I can likely fix this error by fully resetting my pc but in that event i will have to redownload a terabytes worth of games/apps and I will lose all my current settings configurations, which is something I am certainly trying to avoid. If anyone has any ideas as for methods I may not have tried let me know any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried this?
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

or https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Jimmernick

Prominent
Jul 8, 2022
tried this?
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

or https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

No success, windows reinstallation with iso file gives error even after following through with those steps. Any other ideas?

Jimmernick

Prominent
Jul 8, 2022
I have always been able to download whatever I wanted on the microsoft store up until about a year ago. When I download an app or game from the microsoft store, it will say acquiring license, then an error will pop up directly after saying "something has happened on our end." Error code 0x80070005. I have tried a variety of methods such as restarting my pc and router, deleting and redownloading the microsoft store and xbox app, attempting to download the game clean boot mode, clearing the cache of the microsoft store through file explorer, and I even tried to reinstall windows 10 using the windows.iso file (after the download completes i get a message that windows 10 installation has failed) A solution to this failed reinstallation of windows 10 could also be a viable way to get my microsoft store working again. I know I can likely fix this error by fully resetting my pc but in that event i will have to redownload a terabytes worth of games/apps and I will lose all my current settings configurations, which is something I am certainly trying to avoid. If anyone has any ideas as for methods I may not have tried let me know any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I created a new user account and added it to my pc. When logged into this secondary account, I am able to download whatever I want from the microsoft store perfectly fine. This hints that there must no be anything inherently wrong with the Microsoft store itself. There is just some sort of restriction or barrier from me downloading anything from my main user on my PC. I am set as an administrator, so that cannot be the issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be your actual old user profile that is to blame.

I have had one corrupt on me before, you just swap to a new one.

If you logon to the normal user, You can copy all the contents of C:/users/old user name onto the new user names folder, giving you same access without needing to reinstall everything. All you need to do then is log into a few things maybe.

I would keep the semi broken user around and is always handy to have a spare, in case it breaks again. Mind you, only had one broken user in 22 years so they not common.

Last edited:

Jimmernick

Prominent
Jul 8, 2022
it could be your actual old user profile that is to blame.

I have had one corrupt on me before, you just swap to a new one.

If you logon to the normal user, You can copy all the contents of C:/users/old user name onto the new user names folder, giving you same access without needing to reinstall everything. All you need to do then is log into a few things maybe.

I would keep the semi broken user around and is always handy to have a spare, in case it breaks again. Mind you, only had one broken user in 22 years so they not common.
Although that would be a good last resort option, I certainly don't want to have to go that measure yet. Reason being, the settings on the other user account are all set to default and I would have to reconfigure everything which would be very annoying especially since I don't even remember half of the settings that I changed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
no, if you copy the folder of your old user onto the new one, it should have all the settings as well.

I did it myself, my user broke and wouldn't let me logon. I had to make a new user and I did what I suggested, and all I had to do was log back into a few things, and set up desktop.
You might need to logon to things like Steam or Onedrive if you use them, but you shouldn't need to set up anything again AFAIK.

Jimmernick

Prominent
Jul 8, 2022
no, if you copy the folder of your old user onto the new one, it should have all the settings as well.

I did it myself, my user broke and wouldn't let me logon. I had to make a new user and I did what I suggested, and all I had to do was log back into a few things, and set up desktop.
You might need to logon to things like Steam or Onedrive if you use them, but you shouldn't need to set up anything again AFAIK.
I might do that as a last resort, i dont know why but i just want to keep my current user as my main user, ive had it for so long

Ralston18

Titan
@Jimmernick

Question:

Why not do as suggested by @Colif?

Understand that you wish to keep the current user as the main user.

User names can be changed.

Set up the "last resort" and determine if that works.

Then rename "main user" to "old main user" user and then rename "new user" to "main user".

Be sure to plan out the steps in advance using the real user names (no need to post them) so you do not get renaming sequence out of order.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: Colif