Error during boot, no display signal

phisch94

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
hey,

my pc does not send any signal to the display anymore. after pressing the power button, no beep tone occurs and even tough all fans are working, no signal is transmitted to the display.

all of this happened after i changed the cpu.
cpu replacement was performed as described:
-unplugged everything
-opened case
-removed cpu fan pin
-removed cpu fan
-removed cpu
-put in new cpu
-cleaned old cpu fan
-put on too much conductive paste and assembled
-no signal on screen

the conductive paste was spreading and came out of the spaces but had no contact with the pins of the cpu, so i cleaned everything with 99% ethanol and reassembled with only a thin layer of paste, no change.

since then nothing is working anymore, heres a list of what i already tried to get the rig running again, specs follow afterwards.

-tried to use old cpu
-tried to use new cpu with the fan delievered with it
-checked two different displays
-used dvi / hdmi cable
-resetted cmos by removing battery for 10 min, by bridging the reset pins on the mobo, by pressing the power button for 1 min
-checked all power cables and and pins a quadrillion times
-unplugging all ram slots but one
-tear down everything --> breadboarding atm

at the moment i am only using a
-gigabyte ga-970a-d3 mobo (rev1.0),
-a amd fx 4300 series cpu,
-xfx R7950 gpu
-2x2 2gb DDR3 RAM

i have an ssd hdd and disc drive, but they are currently not connected to the mobo

earlier this morning, the system was running on an amd phenom II and encountering random crashes during processor intensive games, problem has been there for around 1 month (system crashed and rebooted on its own without any error msg --> reason for cpu change) during change, i realized that the 8 year old thermal paste was due...

i dont think that i messed up too hard with the conductive paste, as only small amounts were around the cpu. the cpu slot on the mobo is clean, so i dont understand why the old cpu is not working anymore.

this thing is driving me nuts, i apologize for my grumpy mood...
has anyone an idea what i could check for? i cant access another mobo with an am3 / am3+ slot, to check if the mobo is down. i also dont have any onboard graphics so i can only connect my gpu to the display

thanks for reading this far, i appreciate any ideas/help!

Greetings,
philipp

Solution
Given the age of the motherboard I'd start to look for degrading caps on the motherboard. The only other thing I can think of to do is if you get it to run update the bios and chipset drivers which may help with stability.

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
The problem with using conductive thermal paste is that if it touches just about anything on the motherboard it can cause a short. You state it never touched the CPU pins but if it touched the motherboard there are thousands of traces on a motherboard and many join at the CPU socket. Shorting any one of them can cause a host of issues. It's entirely possible that you may have caused a short and fried your board and possibly other items in the process. I'd highly advise moving over to a nonconductive thermal paste in the future as there's almost no difference between the temps of conductive vs nonconductive anymore.

phisch94

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

I'm sorry, i wrote conductive paste but i really meant electrically non conductive thermal compound. this stuff i bought is called E2 IC essential thermal compound and is non conductive and so on. so i'm pretty sure that one can clear out the possibility of a shortcut on the mobo due to the heat compound, but anyway thank you for your fast reply!

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
Given the age of the motherboard I'd start to look for degrading caps on the motherboard. The only other thing I can think of to do is if you get it to run update the bios and chipset drivers which may help with stability.

Solution