Error in 95 setup

I get this message when i start 95 for the first time device IOS failed to
initaliz. Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer. I found
the fix on Compaq's website because I can't get into safe mode. THe question
is they tell me to put the file I downloaded from microsoft on a bootable
floppy. Do they mean to put it on the Win ME Boot floppy I use to boot onto
the 95 CD or do they mean something else?

Philo

"Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get this message when i start 95 for the first time device IOS failed to
> initaliz. Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer. I found
> the fix on Compaq's website because I can't get into safe mode. THe
> question
> is they tell me to put the file I downloaded from microsoft on a bootable
> floppy. Do they mean to put it on the Win ME Boot floppy I use to boot
> onto
> the 95 CD or do they mean something else?

assuming it's the win95 fast cpu fix
you need to extract all the files
then copy them to a simple boot floppy
you can delete all but io.sys msdos.sys and command.com to make room
then you need to copy the files to the appropriate folders

I am going to have XP on another partition. Can I use XP to put the files in
95's Hard Drive?

>I am going to have XP on another partition. Can I use XP to put the files
>in
> 95's Hard Drive?
>
> "philo" wrote:
>

>> "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I get this message when i start 95 for the first time device IOS failed
>> > initaliz. Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer. I
>> > found
>> > the fix on Compaq's website because I can't get into safe mode. THe
>> > question
>> > is they tell me to put the file I downloaded from microsoft on a
>> > bootable
>> > floppy. Do they mean to put it on the Win ME Boot floppy I use to boot
>> > onto
>> > the 95 CD or do they mean something else?
>>
>> assuming it's the win95 fast cpu fix
>> you need to extract all the files
>> then copy them to a simple boot floppy
>> you can delete all but io.sys msdos.sys and command.com to make room
>> then you need to copy the files to the appropriate folders

yes, that will work

i just don't recall offhand where each file goes