Error installing USB Printer support

I keep getting an error when i try to install my Epson
C40UX printer.

I just did a fresh install of WinXP Home, i have downloaded
and installed all of the latest updates and patches.
Before the reinstall the printer was working perfectly, now
when windows tries to install the drivers it doesnt work.
The device manager shows a device called "USB Printer" with
the little exclamation mark that it has when things dont
work. If i try to reinstall the drivers for that device, it
comes up with an error saying: "There was a problem
installing this hardware, USB Printing Support. An error
occurred during the installation of the device, The data is
invalid"

It does this no matter how many times i try
uninstalling/rebooting and reinstalling the driver.

Ive had a quick look in the knowledge base but i couldnt
find anything of any use to me (which is not to say that it
isnt there, just that i couldnt find it if it is)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

phillm90

Epson has many support documents
http://tinyurl.com/3d6a9
Resources for Troubleshooting Printing Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308028&Product=winxp
General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575&Product=winxp

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Phill Macey" <phillmNinetyREPLACEITWITHNUMBERS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I keep getting an error when i try to install my Epson
> C40UX printer.
>
> I just did a fresh install of WinXP Home, i have downloaded
> and installed all of the latest updates and patches.
> Before the reinstall the printer was working perfectly, now
> when windows tries to install the drivers it doesnt work.
> The device manager shows a device called "USB Printer" with
> the little exclamation mark that it has when things dont
> work. If i try to reinstall the drivers for that device, it
> comes up with an error saying: "There was a problem
> installing this hardware, USB Printing Support. An error
> occurred during the installation of the device, The data is
> invalid"
>
> It does this no matter how many times i try
> uninstalling/rebooting and reinstalling the driver.
>
> Ive had a quick look in the knowledge base but i couldnt
> find anything of any use to me (which is not to say that it
> isnt there, just that i couldnt find it if it is)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> phillm90

thanks Mary, i have looked through all of the links you
gave me and followed any relevant links that i found while
looking but I didnt find anything that helped.

I should have pointed out in my first post, there is
definantly nothing wrong with the printer because 1) i can
get it to print its own test page (not using the windows
one, just using the combination of button presses on the
printer - it doesnt even need to be connected to the computer)
2) it was working just fine before i reinstalled windows.
Im certain it is a driver problem. I dont think it is a
problem with the epson drivers though. It is just the 'USB
Printer Support' one that windows installs to allow the
printer to be on a usb port.. I can get the epson drivers
to install, but they can not access the printer because
that other driver is not functioning (they can only access
LPT ports, COM ports, and FILE)... Yes i uninstalled the
printer drivers before i tried installing them again.

USB works fine cause ive had other usb devices (storage
devices) running without any problems. I have tried
plugging it into different usb ports, and it still doesnt
work no matter what port i put it in.

I can tell that this is going to be a real pain in the
bum.. it already has been

phillm90

Did you leave the printer disconnected from the computer when you
reinstalled windows and printer drivers?

"Phill Macey" <phillmNinetyREPLACEITWITHNUMBERS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:190c301c4215a$edb6f420$a601280a@phx.gbl...
thanks Mary, i have looked through all of the links you
gave me and followed any relevant links that i found while
looking but I didnt find anything that helped.

I should have pointed out in my first post, there is
definantly nothing wrong with the printer because 1) i can
get it to print its own test page (not using the windows
one, just using the combination of button presses on the
printer - it doesnt even need to be connected to the computer)
2) it was working just fine before i reinstalled windows.
Im certain it is a driver problem. I dont think it is a
problem with the epson drivers though. It is just the 'USB
Printer Support' one that windows installs to allow the
printer to be on a usb port.. I can get the epson drivers
to install, but they can not access the printer because
that other driver is not functioning (they can only access
LPT ports, COM ports, and FILE)... Yes i uninstalled the
printer drivers before i tried installing them again.

USB works fine cause ive had other usb devices (storage
devices) running without any problems. I have tried
plugging it into different usb ports, and it still doesnt
work no matter what port i put it in.

I can tell that this is going to be a real pain in the
bum.. it already has been

phillm90

What driver version are you installing? v5.2aAs is the
newest.

try uninstalling the "USB Printing Support" from device
manager

uninstall the printer device driver

reboot the computer, without the printer connected
install the printer driver

turn computer off
reboot, connect the printer, turn printer power "ON"

yeah, i forgot that it was turned off when i did the
Windows Install.. I noticed a couple of days later, when i
wanted to use the printer..

See inline comments

Yeah, ive got the latest ones off the epson site. but they
are useless to me unless i can install USB printing support
because without it, they will only let me install the
printer on either: LPT ports, COM ports or FILE

>try uninstalling the "USB Printing Support" from device
>manager
>
>uninstall the printer device driver
>
>reboot the computer, without the printer connected
>install the printer driver

Same problem as above.. I dont know how to manually install
USB Printer Support..until i get that working I cant tell
the drivers that there is a printer on a USB port.

>turn computer off
>reboot, connect the printer, turn printer power "ON"

oops, forgot to enter my details for that post... too late now.

phillm90

TRENDING THREADS