Error loading operating system with tyan mobo

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello.
I have a old tyan trinity s1854motherboard, and i am trying to run windows xp on it. i can install windows xp fine, but after the reboot, a message appears during boot "error loading operationg system" is there something i am missing here, or is the bios not compatible?

When you say old, you really mean it - that is P2 P3 class.
Why even bother ?

marcushe

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I am currently having the exact same issue with the exact same motherboard - IT professional, spent 6+ hours on trying to get XP to load. Funny thing is, Windows 7 installs & boots great!

I need this motherboard / computer for the ISA slot, as I have a $30,000 medical device here that needs an ISA slot computer. I have tried everything under the sun with Master / Slave, MBR fixing, Large / LMA BIOS settings, etc. REALLY need this thing to load XP!

Funny thing is, throwing in an old hard drive already loaded with Win 98 booted fine. Windows 7 installed & booted fine. XP says "error loading operating system" :fou:

Possible Solutions: (Has worked for some MOBO's)
Set the Hard drive Access Mode to "LARGE" in bios. May have to set it back to "AUTO" after XP Installs. To Wit
Solution 1:

Go to the BIOS settings of your computer. Change the translation method used to access the hard drive from the default setting “Auto” to “Large” (not LBA, not CHS!). Reboot and with some luck installation will pick up at the point where it aborted before. If it doesn’t continue with the second part of the installation, you have to start over and do a fresh install. Leave the BIOS setting at “Large” for that task!

Update I:

On two of my test systems I was able to set the BIOS setting back to “Auto” after the installation of XP had finished. Your mileage may vary.

Solution 2:

Another cause for this problem may be that an ATA-66/100/133 drive is attached with an 40 pin cable instead of an 80 pin cable. I can’t verify this but consider it as enitrely possible for Microsoft to choke on that so I thought I’d put it up here.

Update III:

As I just found out some genius introduced a new way of setting the access mode in some BIOSes. Instead of allowing to set the access mode in the “STANDARD CMOS CONFIGURATION” screen, you have to use “IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION” instead. When the BIOS reports your drive there, you *don’t* press “Y” to accept but instead press “N”. You should then be able to chose whether to use “LBA” (don’t) or “LARGE” (yup) as the access mode for the particular drive.

marcushe

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I have already tried everything mentioned above - including the unintuitive HDD detection mode, and LGA / Large / Auto settings. Also tried all different kinds of master / slave settings.

Windows 7 installed & then booted fine (It ran great too) on this PIII board with 768 MB RAM, but it did not recognize the ISA bus :(

I had a Windows 98 drive from the previous failed ISA computer - and putting the hard drive in this new board resulted in booting Windows 98 no problem - minus all the drivers it wanted (including asking for an ISA driver).

Trying a reformat & install of XP on that same working Windows 98 drive resulted in the "error loading operating system".

It makes no sense - done thousands of OS installs - Windows / Mac and never seen something like this. Windows 7 boots fine, but not XP. It's something with the XP bootloader & this BIOS.

Reading other forums, people have mentioned that zeroing the drive fixed this issue. I don't see why that would be, however I could give zeroing a hard drive a shot...

marcushe

Honorable
May 11, 2012
For everyone out there on the internets, I was able to solve this issue with a convoluted process!

I figured it had to be something with the boot sector & how this BIOS reads the boot sector.

I saw other people having success with ghost - So I used Ghost to make an image of the fresh XP install that wouldn't boot, then imaged it back to the same drive. Ghost uses its own process to create the boot sector post image.

After ghosting to / back, the "error loading operating system" error was replaced with "NTLDR missing".

At this point I knew I was close. I just had to fix the boot sector that Ghost made. I knew Windows 7 booted fine on this machine, so I booted off the Windows 7 install CD, went into repair, then command line, and typed "bootrec.exe /fixmbr". FIXED! BOOTED XP!