Error loading operating system

Ron

I just replaced my motherboard, CPU, and memory, keeping the same hard
drives, CD, and video card.

Mobo: SY-P4VTE
CPU: Prescott P4 2.8A with 1MB L2 Cache
Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)

After booting and setting BIOS I continue to get the message, "error loading
operating system". I've cleared CMOS and reconfigured BIOS -- several
times. Reformatted the HD and reinstalled Windows XP -- several times.

The only other clue that comes to mind is that when I boot from the Windows
XP CD to reinstall the operating system, I get only the text mode copying
files. I never get to the GUI mode. Don't know if that's correct or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron L.

Ron wrote:
> I just replaced my motherboard, CPU, and memory, keeping the same hard
> drives, CD, and video card.
>
> Mobo: SY-P4VTE
> CPU: Prescott P4 2.8A with 1MB L2 Cache
> Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
>
> After booting and setting BIOS I continue to get the message, "error loading
> operating system". I've cleared CMOS and reconfigured BIOS -- several
> times. Reformatted the HD and reinstalled Windows XP -- several times.
>
> The only other clue that comes to mind is that when I boot from the Windows
> XP CD to reinstall the operating system, I get only the text mode copying
> files. I never get to the GUI mode. Don't know if that's correct or not.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ron L.

Are you trying to do a repair installation? That would only show the
text mode. You need to do a fresh installation. When XP starts up you
should be hitting Esc to continue with the fresh installation. Then
delete your present partition and set up a new one in XP, then continue
with the install.

By trying a repair installation your reusing the drivers and things that
XP detected when the drive was on the old motherboard.

Ron

Thanks for your response, Jim. We were caught up in Hurricane Charley here
in SW Florida, so I just now got back into working this problem...
When I boot from the Win XP CD, and after I get to the Welcome to Setup
screen, my options are:
1. To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
2. To repair using Recovery Console, press R.
3. To quit, press, F3.

I've been pressing ENTER. (There isn't an ESC option on this screen and
there's no response when I press ESC.)
Then it asks me for a qualifying CD, so I insert a Win Me CD and hit ENTER.
Since I previously did a low level format, it sees that one and only
partition on Drive C, and it is already selected, so I reinsert the Win XP
CD and hit ENTER.
Then I select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" and press
ENTER.
The it asks me to confirm by pressing "F", which I did.
After the format has completed, then I get to the "Setup is copying
files..." screen, still in text mode.
I never do get to a GUI mode.
Am I missing something?
When I do a search on "error loading operating system", Microsoft suggests a
BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer BIOS
than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?

Ron L.

"Jim B" <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Ron wrote:
> > I just replaced my motherboard, CPU, and memory, keeping the same hard
> > drives, CD, and video card.
> >
> > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
> > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8A with 1MB L2 Cache
> > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
> >
> > After booting and setting BIOS I continue to get the message, "error
> > operating system". I've cleared CMOS and reconfigured BIOS -- several
> > times. Reformatted the HD and reinstalled Windows XP -- several times.
> >
> > The only other clue that comes to mind is that when I boot from the
Windows
> > XP CD to reinstall the operating system, I get only the text mode
copying
> > files. I never get to the GUI mode. Don't know if that's correct or
not.

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Ron L.
> >

> Are you trying to do a repair installation? That would only show the
> text mode. You need to do a fresh installation. When XP starts up you
> should be hitting Esc to continue with the fresh installation. Then
> delete your present partition and set up a new one in XP, then continue
> with the install.
>
> By trying a repair installation your reusing the drivers and things that
> XP detected when the drive was on the old motherboard.

"Ron" <ron@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<GfOdnaLAsbOLDoPcRVn-iw@comcast.com>...

When it asked for a qualifying CD it shows me that your using a
Windows XP upgrade disk. You don't have a full version of WinXP. Thats
where the difference is.

Using a full version of WinXP after you hit enter there would hava
been a screen that came up asking you to hit Esc to continue with a
new installation or enter to install over your current installation of
XP. But by using the upgrade disk without XP on the computer your
getting the insert a qualifying CD message.

I've done upgrades of other versions of Windows like your trying to
do. But I've never tried it with XP. But I don't see your problem as
being one with the motherboard BIOS.

Try the installation again but don't format the partition in NTFS, use
the current FAT32 format. If WinXP completes the installation and is
up and running you can convert the drive to NTFS at any time, thats
not hard to do. Instructions for converting a FAT32 drive to NTFS are
in WinXP Help.

If all else fails, I would install WinME on the computer and when its
up and running then use your WinXP upgrade disk to convert to XP. This
way would take longer no doubt but should work.

> Thanks for your response, Jim. We were caught up in Hurricane Charley here
> in SW Florida, so I just now got back into working this problem...
> When I boot from the Win XP CD, and after I get to the Welcome to Setup
> screen, my options are:
> 1. To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
> 2. To repair using Recovery Console, press R.
> 3. To quit, press, F3.
>
> I've been pressing ENTER. (There isn't an ESC option on this screen and
> there's no response when I press ESC.)
> Then it asks me for a qualifying CD, so I insert a Win Me CD and hit ENTER.
> Since I previously did a low level format, it sees that one and only
> partition on Drive C, and it is already selected, so I reinsert the Win XP
> CD and hit ENTER.
> Then I select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" and press
> ENTER.
> The it asks me to confirm by pressing "F", which I did.
> After the format has completed, then I get to the "Setup is copying
> files..." screen, still in text mode.
> I never do get to a GUI mode.
> Am I missing something?
> When I do a search on "error loading operating system", Microsoft suggests a
> BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer BIOS
> than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?
>
> Ron L.
>

> "Jim B" <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Ron wrote:
> > > I just replaced my motherboard, CPU, and memory, keeping the same hard
> > > drives, CD, and video card.
> > >
> > > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
> > > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8A with 1MB L2 Cache
> > > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
> > >
> > > After booting and setting BIOS I continue to get the message, "error
> > > operating system". I've cleared CMOS and reconfigured BIOS -- several
> > > times. Reformatted the HD and reinstalled Windows XP -- several times.
> > >
> > > The only other clue that comes to mind is that when I boot from the
> Windows
> > > XP CD to reinstall the operating system, I get only the text mode
> copying
> > > files. I never get to the GUI mode. Don't know if that's correct or
> not.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Ron L.
> > >

> > Are you trying to do a repair installation? That would only show the
> > text mode. You need to do a fresh installation. When XP starts up you
> > should be hitting Esc to continue with the fresh installation. Then
> > delete your present partition and set up a new one in XP, then continue
> > with the install.
> >
> > By trying a repair installation your reusing the drivers and things that
> > XP detected when the drive was on the old motherboard.

"Ron" <ron@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<GfOdnaLAsbOLDoPcRVn-iw@comcast.com>...

On your new system what type of memory did you use? Is it good quality
memory or no name cheap stuff? You also could be experiancing a memory
related problem.

> Thanks for your response, Jim. We were caught up in Hurricane Charley here
> in SW Florida, so I just now got back into working this problem...
> When I boot from the Win XP CD, and after I get to the Welcome to Setup
> screen, my options are:
> 1. To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
> 2. To repair using Recovery Console, press R.
> 3. To quit, press, F3.
>
> I've been pressing ENTER. (There isn't an ESC option on this screen and
> there's no response when I press ESC.)
> Then it asks me for a qualifying CD, so I insert a Win Me CD and hit ENTER.
> Since I previously did a low level format, it sees that one and only
> partition on Drive C, and it is already selected, so I reinsert the Win XP
> CD and hit ENTER.
> Then I select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" and press
> ENTER.
> The it asks me to confirm by pressing "F", which I did.
> After the format has completed, then I get to the "Setup is copying
> files..." screen, still in text mode.
> I never do get to a GUI mode.
> Am I missing something?
> When I do a search on "error loading operating system", Microsoft suggests a
> BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer BIOS
> than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?
>
> Ron L.
>

> "Jim B" <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Ron wrote:
> > > I just replaced my motherboard, CPU, and memory, keeping the same hard
> > > drives, CD, and video card.
> > >
> > > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
> > > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8A with 1MB L2 Cache
> > > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
> > >
> > > After booting and setting BIOS I continue to get the message, "error
> > > operating system". I've cleared CMOS and reconfigured BIOS -- several
> > > times. Reformatted the HD and reinstalled Windows XP -- several times.
> > >
> > > The only other clue that comes to mind is that when I boot from the
> Windows
> > > XP CD to reinstall the operating system, I get only the text mode
> copying
> > > files. I never get to the GUI mode. Don't know if that's correct or
> not.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Ron L.
> > >

> > Are you trying to do a repair installation? That would only show the
> > text mode. You need to do a fresh installation. When XP starts up you
> > should be hitting Esc to continue with the fresh installation. Then
> > delete your present partition and set up a new one in XP, then continue
> > with the install.
> >
> > By trying a repair installation your reusing the drivers and things that
> > XP detected when the drive was on the old motherboard.

Ron

Memory is two sticks of Mushkin 512 MB DDR333 (PC2700). When I first
encountered the problem, I tried other memory that is working well in my
friends computer. Still had the same "error loading operating system"
problem.

I tried to reinstall Win Me, hoping to then do an upgrade to Win XP.
Unfortunately, I get some strange "hardware incompatibility" error message.
Next step is to try a different hard drive. (The one I've been using is a
Maxtor 6Y120L0 Diamond Max.) My only other "spare" HD has good data on it,
so I must wait and borrow one from a friend before I can try that.

I keep thinking there might be substance to the Microsoft comment when I
search their KB for the "error loading operating system" message: This issue
may occur if your computer BIOS does not correctly manage or support the
capacity of the hard disk on which you are installing Windows XP.

Thanks again for your help.

> "Ron" <ron@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
> On your new system what type of memory did you use? Is it good quality
> memory or no name cheap stuff? You also could be experiancing a memory
> related problem.
>
> > Thanks for your response, Jim. We were caught up in Hurricane Charley
here
> > in SW Florida, so I just now got back into working this problem...
> > When I boot from the Win XP CD, and after I get to the Welcome to Setup
> > screen, my options are:
> > 1. To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
> > 2. To repair using Recovery Console, press R.
> > 3. To quit, press, F3.
> >
> > I've been pressing ENTER. (There isn't an ESC option on this screen and
> > there's no response when I press ESC.)
> > Then it asks me for a qualifying CD, so I insert a Win Me CD and hit
ENTER.
> > Since I previously did a low level format, it sees that one and only
> > partition on Drive C, and it is already selected, so I reinsert the Win
XP
> > CD and hit ENTER.
> > Then I select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" and
press
> > ENTER.
> > The it asks me to confirm by pressing "F", which I did.
> > After the format has completed, then I get to the "Setup is copying
> > files..." screen, still in text mode.
> > I never do get to a GUI mode.
> > Am I missing something?
> > When I do a search on "error loading operating system", Microsoft
suggests a
> > BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer
BIOS
> > than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Ron L.
> >

> > "Jim B" <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > Windows
> > copying
> > not.

> > > Are you trying to do a repair installation? That would only show the
> > > text mode. You need to do a fresh installation. When XP starts up you
> > > should be hitting Esc to continue with the fresh installation. Then
> > > delete your present partition and set up a new one in XP, then
continue
> > > with the install.
> > >
> > > By trying a repair installation your reusing the drivers and things
that
> > > XP detected when the drive was on the old motherboard.

"Ron" <ron@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<Ev-dnUV5-Kh-JYLcRVn-jg@comcast.com>...

Ron

Is your hard drive the ATA or SATA 200 Gig Maxtor?

If it's the SATA drive did you copy the raid controller driver and the
other needed files to a floppy disk for installation during XP setup?
If your using an SATA drive the raid controller driver is needed to
install XP right when you start XP setup, it doesn't matter if your
using just one driver on the controller or trying to set up a raid
array. Without the driver you will get an error message and XP will
not install.

If you are using the SATA drive and don't know how to install this
driver during setup let me know by email and I can send you step by
step instructions for doing so. I know your board didn't come with a
complete manual.

> [...]
> > > Since I previously did a low level format, it sees that one and only
> > > partition on Drive C, and it is already selected, so I reinsert the Win
> XP
> > > CD and hit ENTER.
> > > Then I select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" and
> press
> > > ENTER.
> > > The it asks me to confirm by pressing "F", which I did.
> > > After the format has completed, then I get to the "Setup is copying
> > > files..." screen, still in text mode.
> > > I never do get to a GUI mode.
> > > Am I missing something?
> > > When I do a search on "error loading operating system", Microsoft
> suggests a
> > > BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer
> BIOS
> > > than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?

Go to Maxtor and download their troubleshooting software. It runs off a
bootable floppy disk. If nothing else, it'll tell you if your HD is working
properly. You might also find information on the Maxtor site about special
problems with that drive and XP. Also, you can probably get the Maxtor
software that sets up the drive too.

Dirk

> [...]

> > > Since I previously did a low level format, it sees that one and only
> > > partition on Drive C, and it is already selected, so I reinsert the Win
> XP
> > > CD and hit ENTER.
> > > Then I select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" and
> press
> > > ENTER.
> > > The it asks me to confirm by pressing "F", which I did.
> > > After the format has completed, then I get to the "Setup is copying
> > > files..." screen, still in text mode.
> > > I never do get to a GUI mode.
> > > Am I missing something?
> > > When I do a search on "error loading operating system", Microsoft
> suggests a
> > > BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer
> BIOS
> > > than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?

Also make sure the drives are set to cable select, no matter if there ATA or SATA.

> [...]
> > > Since I previously did a low level format, it sees that one and only
> > > partition on Drive C, and it is already selected, so I reinsert the Win
> XP
> > > CD and hit ENTER.
> > > Then I select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" and
> press
> > > ENTER.
> > > The it asks me to confirm by pressing "F", which I did.
> > > After the format has completed, then I get to the "Setup is copying
> > > files..." screen, still in text mode.
> > > I never do get to a GUI mode.
> > > Am I missing something?
> > > When I do a search on "error loading operating system", Microsoft
> suggests a
> > > BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer
> BIOS
> > > than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all who gave me invaluable insight into solving this frustrating
problem. I finally found a savvy tech at Soyo (Mike) who had me disable
"DRAM Timing by SPD". That finally permitted me to install Windows XP on
this machine.
As I acknowledged up front, I'm a newbie at this, so now I have a question:
What does disabling this BIOS setting do? Am I giving up any performance?

Thanks again for all your help and comments,

> "Ron" <ron@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
> Ron
>
> Also make sure the drives are set to cable select, no matter if there ATA
or SATA.

> > Memory is two sticks of Mushkin 512 MB DDR333 (PC2700). When I first
> > encountered the problem, I tried other memory that is working well in my
> > friends computer. Still had the same "error loading operating system"
> > problem.
> >
> > I tried to reinstall Win Me, hoping to then do an upgrade to Win XP.
> > Unfortunately, I get some strange "hardware incompatibility" error
message.
> > Next step is to try a different hard drive. (The one I've been using is
> > Maxtor 6Y120L0 Diamond Max.) My only other "spare" HD has good data on
it,
> > so I must wait and borrow one from a friend before I can try that.
> >
> > I keep thinking there might be substance to the Microsoft comment when I
> > search their KB for the "error loading operating system" message: This
issue
> > may occur if your computer BIOS does not correctly manage or support the
> > capacity of the hard disk on which you are installing Windows XP.
> >
> > Thanks again for your help.
> > Ron L.
> >
> > "Jim B." <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > "Ron" <ron@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > On your new system what type of memory did you use? Is it good quality
> > > memory or no name cheap stuff? You also could be experiancing a memory
> > > related problem.

Charley
> > here
Setup

> > ENTER.
Win
> > XP
> > press
> > suggests a
> > BIOS

> > hard

> > several
> > times.

> > Windows
> > copying
> > or
> > not.

Then
> > continue

> > that

Ron

Jim, one final comment on this subject. Soyo just released an updated BIOS
for this SY-P4VTE board. Could it be a coincidence? I haven't had a chance
to try it yet, but will do so this weekend.

Thanks,

> [...]
> > BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer
BIOS
> > than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Ron L.
> >

> > "Jim B" <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > Windows
> > copying
> > not.

> > > Are you trying to do a repair installation? That would only show the
> > > text mode. You need to do a fresh installation. When XP starts up you
> > > should be hitting Esc to continue with the fresh installation. Then
> > > delete your present partition and set up a new one in XP, then
continue
> > > with the install.
> > >
> > > By trying a repair installation your reusing the drivers and things
that
> > > XP detected when the drive was on the old motherboard.

"Ron" <ron@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<qOidnfm76qtr9bvcRVn-tg@comcast.com>...

Ron,

Glad to hear its up and running. SPD is a series of commands that are
on a small chip on your memory that set the timings for the memory. By
disabling this setting your memory timing are set manually.

As for the BIOS update, NEVER update a BIOS file unless the file fixes
a problem your having with your motherboard. I looked at the posted
update and this one doesn't list what it fixes. If you can contact
Soyo again and ask what it fixes it may be worth the update. But I
wouldn't do it till I knew what it fixed myself.

If a BIOS flash goes bad your board could be useless till you have the
chip reflashed or you replace it.

> [...]
> > > Since I previously did a low level format, it sees that one and only
> > > partition on Drive C, and it is already selected, so I reinsert the Win
> XP
> > > CD and hit ENTER.
> > > Then I select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" and
> press
> > > ENTER.
> > > The it asks me to confirm by pressing "F", which I did.
> > > After the format has completed, then I get to the "Setup is copying
> > > files..." screen, still in text mode.
> > > I never do get to a GUI mode.
> > > Am I missing something?
> > > When I do a search on "error loading operating system", Microsoft
> suggests a
> > > BIOS problem and that I should update it. Soyo doesn't have a newer
> BIOS
> > > than the one that came with the board. Any suggestions?

Yes, I'm on the same page with you regarding the BIOS. I've already sent an
email to Soyo asking what the upgrade fixes.
Ron