error mounting hd

geomis

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hello I'm geomis and i'm new at Linux. I have problem with my HD 500 GB. When i connect the hd on my computer there is no icon for it and after some minutes it appears this problem.

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read of MFT, mft=6 count=1 br=-1: Input/output error
Failed to open inode FILE_Bitmap: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

Can anybody help me? I have over 300 GB of storage informations wich i need. Thanks!

Solution
important!
I suspect that this is the important part of the error message. Try the advice in the second two sentences (you will have to attach it to a Windows system to do this).
important!
I suspect that this is the important part of the error message. Try the advice in the second two sentences (you will have to attach it to a Windows system to do this).

Solution

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
A brief explanation. The file system is ntfs. If a windows system doesn't shut down correctly then it puts a flag there telling the computer to check the file system for errors on the next start. Windows put the flag there and only windows can take it off. Do as ijack says and boot to windows and run the chkdsk /f command if windows doesn't do it automatically.

geomis

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I put it on windows and it asks for format . also , it is windows XP. i put it in drive G and give the command but it says faulse syntax. i don't know if i 'm doing smthing wrong but if you pleased, can you give me the whole command? thanks

geomis

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Please forgive my total ignorance, but how can i find about the drive?(ext. , int.) It says Local disk G.
I did tried to check the drive from the properties menu and it gives me back

The disk check could not be performed because windows can't access the disk

Thanks a lot

geomis

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
The problem is with my passport WD 500 GB . I put it on another computer with Windows version 6.1.7600. The port i put it says local disk G. My computer has Linux Mint 13 (maya) edition Cinnamon 32-bit