error occurred during directory enumeration

I get the following error:

"error occurred during directory enumeration"

when I try to do a recovery console repair.

Is it just hopeless at this point or is there some chance of recovering my
WIN XP installation?

I amin the process of doing the following - any other suggestions?

a.. CHKDSK /R,
b.. FIXMBR
c.. FIXBOOT
d.. BOOTCFG /Rebuild

I can actually see the contents of drive C if I boot up a BART PE CD. so
all the data is there.

Chkdsk has allowed me to view the c drive now.

Is it safe to use fixmbr and fixboot?

Malke

JM7 wrote:

> I can actually see the contents of drive C if I boot up a BART PE CD.
> so all the data is there.
>
> Chkdsk has allowed me to view the c drive now.
>
> Is it safe to use fixmbr and fixboot?

Back up your data. Then from a working machine get a diagnostic utility
from the hard drive mftr. and do a thorough scan of the hard drive.
Replace the drive if there are errors. Definitely you should back up
your data before messing around with Fixmbr, etc. Then determine that
the hardware is sound before going further with software solutions.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com