Question Error preventing me from booting.

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Around three days ago I tried to turn my computer on and after I get the gigabyte bios logo, instead of going into the sign in screen, I get a small error in the corner of my screen that says BI InitializeLibrary Failed 0xc00000bb. I have narrowed down that it is indeed a BIOS error, and I have tried resetting the bios settings by re-inserting the cmos battery as a forum post I found suggested but I have had no luck fixing the issue. Every other forum post I have found has no real helpful information and am hoping to find some here.

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Hi, I asked this in another subforum but I now think it was the wrong place to ask it, so... I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Around three days ago I tried to turn my computer running Windows 10 on and after I get the bios logo, instead of going into the Windows sign in screen, I get a small error in the corner of my screen that says BI InitializeLibrary Failed 0xc00000bb. I have narrowed down that it is indeed a BIOS error, and I have tried resetting the bios settings by re-inserting the cmos battery as a forum post I found suggested but I have had no luck fixing the issue. Every other forum post I have found has no real helpful information and am hoping to find some here. There were no physical modifications to my rig, nor were any new programs installed within a week or two of this happening.

Colif

Win 11 Master
This error message occurs when the boot firmware on the computer generates lots of memory fragmentation. This can also be caused by an issue with Boot Configuration Data (BCD).

To help you with this, we suggest that you rebuild the BCD. To do this, please follow the steps below:

1. Using the bootable USB flash that you already have, plug it in or insert it on your device.

2. Select Command Prompt and type the following commands, then press Enter:

Bootrec / fixmbr
    Bootrec / fixboot
    Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Note
    : Please enter each command in order.
  3. Close the Command Prompt window, then restart your device.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...on-black/a8889e67-300c-491a-965a-df087ab5cbe1

if you don't have a WIn 10 installer -On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Colif

Win 11 Master
You should be able to boot off the USB

Is this a custom PC or Brand name? If custom, what motherboard? If brand name, what Make/model?
should be able to figure out what to change to boot off USB.

once we have it set up to boot, we can get to command prompt:

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

then just enter the 3 lines they suggest above.

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
You should be able to boot off the USB

Is this a custom PC or Brand name? If custom, what motherboard? If brand name, what Make/model?
should be able to figure out what to change to boot off USB.

once we have it set up to boot, we can get to command prompt:

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

then just enter the 3 lines they suggest above.
Hi, thanks for the reply, I was busy this week but got around to finally trying this. I was able to do everything suggested until the step that says Bootrec /rebuildbcd i get the option for my C:\ drive that says"add installation to boot list" and when I hit yes I get an error that says "The requested system device cannot be found." Which makes no sense, it can find it but it can't at the same time?

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
on the cd /d b:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ step I keep getting access denied, even after attempting ways to make the volume not hidden and unaccessible.
At this point, I'm not against just completely resetting my SSD if there's no other way, what would be the simplest (hopefully cheapest as well) way of doing this? my HDD has most of my important stuff anyways.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry I am slow to answer, we had storms last few days
reset likely not enough, clean install better idea.

unplug PC and then disconnect hdd from data (this way when you install win 10, it won't try to put boot partition on D drive)
if you have made an installer already, all you need to do is clean install using it... really cheap :)

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

once win 10 back on ssd and it boots fine, unplug PC and reattach the hdd.