Error Reporting

Whenever a program crashes or I have to stop an application that's not
responding, XP wants to send an error report to Microsoft. What happens to
this report? Maybe I would rather not share this information. I usually
click not to send the report. Is this a problem? Alan

Good question. The error reporting is really for Microsoft's benefit. They
aggregate all the error reports they receive to help spot problem areas in
Windows that need attention. If enough users are reporting the same kind of
problem then it's time for the boys and girls in Quality Assurance to get
busy.

Microsoft will sometimes but not always reply with a solution if one has
been developed for a particular problem, but you should think of this more
as a bonus.

I am not aware of any concerns that have been reported with respect to the
information sent to Microsoft. It's a lot of deep geek stuff. For more
information, have a look at this:

Windows XP Error Reporting
http://tinyurl.com/5rf5u
--
Ted Zieglar

"Alan Alpert" <alalpert@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Whenever a program crashes or I have to stop an application that's not
> responding, XP wants to send an error report to Microsoft. What happens to
> this report? Maybe I would rather not share this information. I usually
> click not to send the report. Is this a problem? Alan

Alan

It is my understanding that Microsoft do use the information to identify
common problems. If you click not to send a report it will not cause any
problem but why not send it. It will give you no grief. If you do
encounter a problem you can use the report to help resolve your problem,
although it has to be said that many are quite difficult to interpret.

Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can
make it harder to search for information about the error message.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.
When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
ID, Source
and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you
should double click
for further information and you can copy using copy and paste.
http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
(Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the
error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
sure this is
the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

Links giving some information about specific Error Reports are:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/support/ee.asp

http://www.eventid.net/search.asp

These links, however, do not contain information about each and every
Error Report.

In Event Viewer there is no facility to print Error Reports. A
workaround is copy and
paste the Error Report into an email, send it to yourself and print off
the copy in your
Inbox or your Sent Items folder.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alan Alpert" <alalpert@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Whenever a program crashes or I have to stop an application that's not
> responding, XP wants to send an error report to Microsoft. What
> happens to this report? Maybe I would rather not share this
> information. I usually click not to send the report. Is this a
> problem? Alan

Thank you for your cogent replies. I now have a good idea of what is
occurring. Alan

"Alan Alpert" <alalpert@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Whenever a program crashes or I have to stop an application that's not
> responding, XP wants to send an error report to Microsoft. What happens to
> this report? Maybe I would rather not share this information. I usually
> click not to send the report. Is this a problem? Alan

Just kill this JUNK.

http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsgui.htm

Good Luck!
---
How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm