Error running recovery from hidden recovery partition on Asus X44H laptop

LunkerHead

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Asus X44H laptop

Got an Asus laptop that kept getting blue screen errors so I ran Memtest on it and it turned out the RAM was bad. Replaced the RAM and no more memory errors. But, either due to virues or due to the memory errors, I had serious problems with the old installation in the form of corrupted system files. Windows installer wouldn't work. Windows update kept getting errors and wouldn't update. So I decided to backup my files and recover back to factory state using the recovery partition. So the recovery process runs for about 30 minutes and then I get a big ERROR message (OS file deploy error). Now this is my sisters laptop and I had previously replaced the MB with a used one I got from Ebay because I cracked the original MB trying to replace the power jack. So my question is, does anyone think the recovery error is because the original MB had some kind of number on it that the Recovery software is expecting, but not getting because the MB has been replaced? And if this is actually the case, I'm screwed, cause I don't think my sister burned backup disks when she first got the laptop. But actually, the backup disk if burned would have the exact same recovery software on it expecting the same MB identification. So that probably wouldn't even work either. And since I already started the recovery process, it's already deleted the partitions, so.. a repair directory option is not available now. (And oh by the way, after getting the error twice running the recovery process, I went back in and set the BIOS back to defaults to see if that would help. I got it running again right now after setting the BIOS settings back to default so I guess If I get another error there may be nothing that can be done outside of buying a $150 copy of Windows 7 pro.)

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
OEM windows version are tied to the mobo. If you replaced it then the repair install is seeing that and stopping. Your only option is to buy another copy of either 7 or 8.

***Edit
As the windows 7 OEM license is between you and Dell, you MIGHT get them to help if it is the exact same model number board. Seeing as you bought the replacement board from Ebay though, it is doubtful they will help but it is worth a try before plunking down the cash for another license.