Question Error: Server Busy. This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.

May 30, 2018
Hello, when attempting to log into a clients company account I receive the following Error: "Error: Server Busy. This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "Switch To" to activate the busy program and correct the problem."

I followed all the steps in this Quickbooks help forum
https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/Error-Server-Busy-This-action-cannot-...

The issue started to occur, after about 2 weeks of not having internet.

Multi-User is setup

My setup:
Two workstations,
First Workstation: Quickbooks Accounting Edition 2010, the data .qbw files are stored in my local harddrive on this machine (I also have that folder set to sharing to allow other workstation to have access to have .qbw file which allows me to work on my file from either workstation)

Second Workstation: Quickbooks Accounting Edition 2010, Accesses the .qbw file from a Shared Network Folder (which again is associated to the host computers folder which contains the .qbw file)

These symptoms have started occurring to BOTH WORKSTATIONS (client claims that up until yesterday the programs were fine, and this morning is when both workstations began having these symptoms).

So essentially the point of failure (error message appearing and refusing to go away) happens when I log into the account, essentially I am prompted to enter the username and password for the .qbw file and once I enter the correct credentials the program takes a second to try and log into the company file but then the error message appears.

The temporary fix I was able to do was constantly do Alt-Tab or simply wait and press Retry, Also when attempting to press Switch To the windows start button is toggled (the bottom left corner windows icon you press in order to see all program).

Again, when the program finally becomes function after doing the method above it works fine, but once I close the program I have to go through the same process in order to have access to the program.

Could this be a network issue? Am I wasting my time fiddling with the settings for no reason? Maybe because they are sharing files? Could the program be attempting to obtain some update, and because it's failing to connect to the internet is causing the problem?

I've attempted the following (besides the solutions provided in the article I posted above):
Close all processes in Task Manager
Turn off Automatic Updates
Run As Administrator

I have run out of ideas, and the main reason why I think it's caused by the network is because again both workstations began having those symptoms on the same day.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Does QuickBooks permit multiple installations per license? Any possible licensing conflict due to some change or update?

Try using just one workstation at a time. Shutdown both and then only start up one of them. See what happens.

Then do the same using the other workstation.

Afterwards, on both workstations check Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings related to the connection delays and failures.

Reactions: JoeMcDonalds27
May 30, 2018
Does QuickBooks permit multiple installations per license? Any possible licensing conflict due to some change or update?

Try using just one workstation at a time. Shutdown both and then only start up one of them. See what happens.

Afterwards, on both workstations check Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings related to the connection delays and failures.

Thank you for the reply, I just have a feeling that It's because their internet has gone down, and there was some update or something that was suppose to happen on the software itself. I'll be going back to their warehouse on Sunday, so I'll keep you updated on regards to the troubleshooting advice you have given me. Also, I'm going to attempt to place wireless external adapters on both workstations and connect them via hotspot to have internet connectivity and see if that plays a roll to cancel out whether having no internet connection is the reason.

Thanks again for the response btw I was losing hope!

May 30, 2018
Also the way that they have their units setup, is basically they aren't able to work on the file if the other workstation is in use, essentially ONE WORKSTATION is allowed to work on the .qbw file at a time, verses being able to work on it dynamically which makes sense since this isn't some type of google docs where you can collaborate together. But anyways I'll try out your troubleshoot sunday!

JoeMcDonalds27

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 26, 2016

Hey,

QuickBooks does not permit multiple installations per license but if it is on cloud i.e If a person is using Hosted QuickBooks then he can definitely use it in multi-user mode with Single license or he can also use different versions of QuickBooks on the same cloud PC.

Regards,
Joe