Question Error: "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId.... " ?

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
I have started getting these errors after a short on my system which caused my GPU to die. But unplugging the GPU and starting to use the integrated graphics was enough to make my PC work. Then these errors on my disk D: (which is quite an old HDD) started popping up. I don't wanna lose any data before i can get a back-up of some of my important files. But it is not possible to do so for now.

Errors from the event viewer;

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: D:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume5.

Failure status: A device which does not exist was specified.

Device GUID: {97bd8ec5-8a72-df74-efd5-b017d2c8ba81}
Device manufacturer:
Device model: ST1000DM003-1CH162
Device revision: CC49
Device serial number: Z1D87DAE
Bus type: SATA

-------------------

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

-----------------

I am not sure if this one is related to my problem but in the event log the time says it happened almost simulatenously with others;

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-EENPFVC\vagab SID (S-1-5-21-473119719-283972727-3783877462-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

-----------------------

Getting this ' A device which does not exist was specified. ' while trying to reach many of the folders on my hard drive D.

What can i do to troubleshoot the problem? Only thing i really want is to save my data without and risks, and possible don't kill my HDD since it is being used as an extra storage for me.

This is the hard drive that gives the error;
��
Hard Disk Model SEAGATE ST1000DM003
Disk Family Barracuda 7200.12
Form Factor 3.5"

google for crystaldiskinfo.exe, download and run to see the smart data for your drive. It will give you an idea about your drive health.

when a drive starts to have problems windows can disconnect the drive in an attempt to get things working correctly. Sometimes the drive does not respond and you can get this error. Sometimes the drive letters are set to new drive letters and you get this error.

normally, the first thing you want to do is check the drive health with a tool like crystaldiskinfo.exe. You would also want to update the cpu chipset drivers from the motherboard vendors website. (for the case where you have bugs in a storage driver)

you might also want to run disk management app to see if the drive assignments are still correct.
windows key+x then select disk management

failure to flush a transaction log to disk mostly happens if the drive becomes disconnected for some reason. It can disconnect for many reasons. The length of time before the system crashes depends on the amount of RAM the system has.
I looked at a system that would crash 4 hours after a drive disconnected. It took that long before something critical needed to be loaded from the disconnected drive.

if the drive health is ok, then look for a firmware update from here:Firmware Updates for Seagate Products | Seagate Support US
Seagate Technology - Download Finder

another thing you want to look for is a bios setting, enter bios find the settings for your sata port. See if there is a setting for hotswap and enable it. if windows detects a non responding drive, it will reset the device and normally the device reconnects and starts back up. But if your sata port does not allow hotswap then the device can not reconnect until you reboot.

there are other reasons drives will be disconnected. One is that windows scans the drives looking for bad sectors and attempts to repair them. often sleep functions interfere with this process. The process starts 5 minutes after the system goes idle. the system process scans the drive looking for read errors on each sector. when it finds a read error it will reread the sector over and over in an attempt to get a clean read with no error. It then copies the data to a new location on the drive, them marks the old location as a bad sector not to be reused. if this process takes over 30 seconds a timer goes off and resets the drive and your drive disconnects. for this case it is sometimes helpful to turn off sleep functions and leave the system running and idle overnight so the repairs can complete.

lazy writes can cause this error but normally only on network redirected drives not on local drives in your machine.

Last edited:

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020

Thank you for all your suggestions. My disk shows in 'good' condition without any errors on crystal and the firmware of the disk is showing latest on seagate's website. I am going to try the other suggestions you have made but i am already ordering new parts to basically build my whole PC but just keep the drives and the PSU with the case. Is there any possibility that this error is related with a PSU error? And most importantly, how can I make a large scale scan to check if my disk is okay and not going to cause this kind of problems in the future. In any case, i am not going to use it as the primary drive, but just store some of my games and other stuff that are more likely less important, is that alright to just keep using it?

A very important update: I am getting 'The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.' error while trying to chkdsk on command prompt, even while using the disk without any problem (until the error starts popping up at some point i believe).

+I also got the 'the format did not complete successfully' error while trying to format the disk since I back up what i needed.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your suggestions. My disk shows in 'good' condition without any errors on crystal and the firmware of the disk is showing latest on seagate's website. I am going to try the other suggestions you have made but i am already ordering new parts to basically build my whole PC but just keep the drives and the PSU with the case. Is there any possibility that this error is related with a PSU error? And most importantly, how can I make a large scale scan to check if my disk is okay and not going to cause this kind of problems in the future. In any case, i am not going to use it as the primary drive, but just store some of my games and other stuff that are more likely less important, is that alright to just keep using it?

A very important update: I am getting 'The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.' error while trying to chkdsk on command prompt, even while using the disk without any problem (until the error starts popping up at some point i believe).
if the file system driver does not recognize the partition it will be marked as RAW
even if it is still full of data. do not format it if you want your data back.
in the past I have repaired systems with this error on drive c by booting a windows disk and running cmd.exe as an admin then running
bootrec.exe /FixMbr
then running chkdsk on the drive partition
chkdsk /v /r c:
where c: was the drive letter.

other people now just use a data recovery tool to fix the partitions.
(just do not format the drive if there was data on it and you just want the file system to come back)

does the system boot? and what drive letter is marked as RAW
i think the last time I tried to help someone with this they used this tool to make the repair:
Professional data recovery software to restore formatted or deleted files, corrupted drives or any inaccessible data - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
if the file system driver does not recognize the partition it will be marked as RAW
in the past I have repaired systems with this error on drive c by booting a windows disk and running cmd.exe as an admin then running
bootrec.exe /FixMbr
chkdsk /v /r c:

(just do not format the drive if there was data on it and you just want the file system to come back)

I did get the data, the disk is very interestingly still appearing as NTFS and works well like for 30 minutes after booting the pc up but then those errors starts popping up out of nowhere. So, i just don't care about the data, i just wanna fix the disk and format it entirely.

I am using 'MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 12.6' currently. Open to any suggestions other than that one.

bootrec.exe /FixMbr
chkdsk /v /r c:

does the system boot? and what drive letter is marked as RAW
i think the last time I tried to help someone with this they used this tool to make the repair:
Professional data recovery software to restore formatted or deleted files, corrupted drives or any inaccessible data - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
i think the microsoft repair method would use this
Repair-Volume (Storage) | Microsoft Docs

so a powershell command like (x= your raw drive)
Repair-volume -driveletter x: -OfflineScanAndFix
or
you might have to do a scan then a spotfix

i think the microsoft repair method would use this
Repair-Volume (Storage) | Microsoft Docs

so a powershell command like (x= your raw drive)
Repair-volume -driveletter x: -OfflineScanAndFix
or
you might have to do a scan then a spotfix
if you don't care about the data then do a full format of the partition rather than a quick format. it will check each sector for bad spots and will take maybe 8 hours to complete but you will have much better results in the long run.

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
if you don't care about the data then do a full format of the partition rather than a quick format. it will check each sector for bad spots and will take maybe 8 hours to complete but you will have much better results in the long run.
The problem is I am not able to format my disk currently cause of this error;

Virtual Disk Manager:
The format did not complete successfully.

I am just trying to format, quick or full on the disk management but still getting this same error.

Looking at the microsoft topic youve shared right now.

I am also getting these errors on powerShell
PS C:\Windows\system32> Repair-Volume -DriveLetter d -Scan
Repair-Volume : Cannot determine the file system of the drive
Activity ID: {de3dd411-a84c-45c7-a55d-8b0e7386848e}
At line:1 char:1
  • Repair-Volume -DriveLetter d -Scan
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...age/MSFT_Volume) [Repair-Volume], CimExcepti
on
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 43014,Repair-Volume

PS C:\Windows\system32> Repair-volume -driveletter d: -OfflineScanAndFix
Repair-volume : No MSFT_Volume objects found with property 'DriveLetter' equal to ':'. Verify the value of the propert
y and retry.
  • Repair-volume -driveletter d: -OfflineScanAndFix
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: :):Char) [Repair-Volume], CimJobException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletizationQuery_NotFound_DriveLetter,Repair-Volume

Repair-volume : Cannot determine the file system of the drive
Activity ID: {af61fff6-e6a9-4b7b-835d-8b8d5194de9c}
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...age/MSFT_Volume) [Repair-Volume], CimExcepti
on

The problem is I am not able to format my disk currently cause of this error;

Virtual Disk Manager:
The format did not complete successfully.

I am just trying to format, quick or full on the disk management but still getting this same error.

Looking at the microsoft topic youve shared right now.

I am also getting these errors on powerShell
PS C:\Windows\system32> Repair-Volume -DriveLetter d -Scan
Repair-Volume : Cannot determine the file system of the drive
Activity ID: {de3dd411-a84c-45c7-a55d-8b0e7386848e}
  • Repair-Volume -DriveLetter d -Scan
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
on

PS C:\Windows\system32> Repair-volume -driveletter d: -OfflineScanAndFix
Repair-volume : No MSFT_Volume objects found with property 'DriveLetter' equal to ':'. Verify the value of the propert
y and retry.
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: :):Char) [Repair-Volume], CimJobException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletizationQuery_NotFound_DriveLetter,Repair-Volume

Repair-volume : Cannot determine the file system of the drive
Activity ID: {af61fff6-e6a9-4b7b-835d-8b8d5194de9c}
on

sorry I guess power shell command just uses the drive letter like h
rather than the old version like h:
so try the command without the colon

guess you could just delete the partition and create another one and format it.
in theory you should not have to do a full format on a drive that has been running on any windows system version 8.1 and above since the system process looks for bad/weak clusters as an idle background process.

Last edited:

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
sorry I guess power shell command just uses the drive letter like h
rather than the old version like h:
so try the command without the colon
Getting the exact same error :/

Windows showing the disk as not initialized after the restart and asking GPT or MBR but the problem is, whatever i pick i get the 'A device which does not exist was specified' error.

Last edited:
This is currently RAW. It turned into in the process. Probably while trying to format it. So, it feels like it is just stuck in there as it is. Can’t format it, can’t use it. Weird.
you should also check your system virtual memory, just in case the system thinks there is a hidden pagefile.sys on the drive.
I would turn off virtual memory and reboot. the system will make a pagefile inside of your RAM. then see if you can delete the partition.
or format it.

I might also move to a different sata port, some sata ports have special functions on some motherboard. (mostly the first port or last port)

all else fails you can run cmd.exe as an admin
then run diskpart.exe
then the commands
list disk
select disk 1 (or what ever disk you need to work on)
then run the clean command on the bad disk to wipe all of the partition data.

just make sure you select the correct disk. people have wiped out the wrong disk before.

diskpart.exe
list disk
select disk 0
attributes disk
quit

where 0 should be your drive number.
just to see the disk info

I guess you should also run cmd.exe as an admin and run
sfc.exe /scannow
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

just in case some files have been modified

Last edited:

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
you should also check your system virtual memory, just in case the system thinks there is a hidden pagefile.sys on the drive.
I would turn off virtual memory and reboot. the system will make a pagefile inside of your RAM. then see if you can delete the partition.
or format it.

I might also move to a different sata port, some sata ports have special functions on some motherboard. (mostly the first port or last port)

all else fails you can run cmd.exe as an admin
then run diskpart.exe
then the commands
list disk
select disk 1 (or what ever disk you need to work on)
then run the clean command on the bad disk to wipe all of the partition data.

just make sure you select the correct disk. people have wiped out the wrong disk before.

diskpart.exe
list disk
select disk 0
attributes disk
quit

where 0 should be your drive number.
just to see the disk info

I guess you should also run cmd.exe as an admin and run
sfc.exe /scannow
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

just in case some files have been modified
Getting the same error this time on command prompt while trying to clean the disk on diskpart.exe.
'DiskPart has encountered an error: A device which does not exist was specified.
See the System Event Log for more information.'

And there is nothing but 'An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR4 during a paging operation.' on the event viewer.

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
I have also tried changing the letter of the disk from windows but then realised that the HDD is not even showing up on BIOS. But it does show up as a normal RAW disk inside windows 10 weirdly. Feels like it is just dead. Wanted to do whatever i can to use it atleast for a little while more but, probably can't do much else for it. Still open to suggestions.