Question Error ---- "This Device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12)"

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

I'm getting the following error codes on my second & third GPU:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.
ZwvLLDb.png

Thing's I've tried:

1. Enable/Disable 4g Decoding
  2. Enable/Disable CSM
  3. Updated the BIOS to the very latest version.
  4. Increase/Decrease VirtualMemory ( & not use maximum virtual memory.)
  5. DDU and install and verify the cards one by one. ( & tried different drivers from the older DCH ones to the latest)
  6. Disable all i/o on the port, wifi, audio, only thing that's plugged in is a 120GB Sata SSD
  7. Edit Registery "Hackflags" DWORD 32 or QWORD 64, and make the range to 400 or 600
  8. Disabled Fastboot
  9. Tried a different riser (got 10 high quality 10s risers that work perfectly on any other system, including this one)
  10. Ensured Windows and everything is completely up to date.
  11. Try to boot all GPUs on Gen 1 OR Gen 2 OR Gen 3, same for DMI Link speed (basically tried one by one)
  12. Select my Primary GPU to be PCIE1
  13. All powers are sufficient and connected through Platinum Coolermaster PCIe cables that I never had issues with. ( so i highly doubt its power related, you'll see why below.)
  14. Rolling back to older BIOS versions.. (same error on 4 versions of BIOS old and new)
Notes

- I get this error even with just 2 GPUs on the motherboard! - I fixed it by actually DISABLING 4g Decoding, as I've seen a video about that on youtube of someone having this issue on a different MOBO.

- When having 3 GPUs I cannot disable 4g decoding and boot, once I save it as "Disabled", it re-boot and re-set it self back on as if it's failing to boot with it OFF with 3 GPUs connected.

- I have a ASRock H570 Phantom Gaming 4 MOBO, i3 10100F, 8GB Ram, platinum coolermaster PSU (more than enough for all these cards, specially that i'd power limit them anyway. This issue happens even with 2 GPUs but fixeable), SATA SSD 120GB

- These cards are brand new, and work 100% perfectly on this system and other systems, long as it's 2 GPUs, once I connect the third the trouble starts.

- The whole pc itself, including windows install is only 3 weeks old anyway, only installed like 3-4 basic programs and there shouldn't be any "BLOAT"

I've seen a lot of people claim that it's a Windows 10 issue, reinstalling it might help so I was about to try that.. some said it didn't help and it's a motherboard issue, some said it's a bios issue.

Any ideas or tips you can give me that I haven't tried yet?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H570 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp

Thank you ♥

Last edited:

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Currently having the exact same issue! Did you find a solution to this by any chance? I could definitely use the help 😭
It was the motherboard itself.. I did the same thing on a Z590 it worked immediatly.

Basically, I assume that board can't accept extra PCIE when there's 2x GPUs fully on board, maybe if i had all of the GPUs on risers it might've work, due to motherboard lanes and cpu lanes not sure but i guess thats what it is..

Above 4G decoding wouldn't work as the rig would restart and turn it off. With it off, it can only accept 2 GPUs

Feb 26, 2022
It was the motherboard itself.. I did the same thing on a Z590 it worked immediatly.

Basically, I assume that board can't accept extra PCIE when there's 2x GPUs fully on board, maybe if i had all of the GPUs on risers it might've work, due to motherboard lanes and cpu lanes not sure but i guess thats what it is..

Above 4G decoding wouldn't work as the rig would restart and turn it off. With it off, it can only accept 2 GPUs

My rig specs:
Mobo = ASROCK H570 Phantom Gaming 4
CPU = i3 10th gen
PSU = 3x 1300 EVGA
GPU's = (3070Ti 8Gb , 3060 Ti 8GB, 3080Ti 12 Gb) *connected with risers to mobo

So this is what I noticed for me....
When I connect 2 Gpu's with 4G decoding disabled, my mobo reads both cards perfectly fine. As soon as I try to connect 3rd GPU, the mobo automatically enables 4G decoding in bios settings and then only reads 1 GPU while other 2 GPUs have the (code 12 error code).

Do you think it might have something to do with bios settings?

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
That's exactly my issue, one person said possibly rolling back bios to 1.7 (or the one before it for that board) instead of newest works better.

But yep exactly.. we kinda have matching CPUs and motherboard and i guess its just the board itself because Z590 had no issues at all with same settings. I tried everything, change dmi, link gen1,2,3, enable/disable like 8 different options and combinations (hours of testing) on that board, could not get to run 3x rtx 30's cards on it.. it might accept 3x 1660 or something but not 30's series cards not sure about that but whats for sure is me and you have the same issue and i went back again to test it and i couldn't fix it.

I tried every combination on every single bios version out there for this board, like days trying combinations of settings..

Reactions: bryantramirez18
Feb 26, 2022
That's exactly my issue, one person said possibly rolling back bios to 1.7 (or the one before it for that board) instead of newest works better.

But yep exactly.. we kinda have matching CPUs and motherboard and i guess its just the board itself because Z590 had no issues at all with same settings. I tried everything, change dmi, link gen1,2,3, enable/disable like 8 different options and combinations (hours of testing) on that board, could not get to run 3x rtx 30's cards on it.. it might accept 3x 1660 or something but not 30's series cards not sure about that but whats for sure is me and you have the same issue and i went back again to test it and i couldn't fix it.

I tried every combination on every single bios version out there for this board, like days trying combinations of settings..

Wow! This sucks lol Looks like I might have to buy a new motherboard 😢
You suggested to roll back bios settings but then you mentioned at the end that you already tried that? So, I'm assuming that doesn't work either.

I can try that as last resort 😪

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
I've tried every single Bios that existed for mother board, tried every combination of bios settings dmi link, gens, on them all, and tried swapping card slots, and risers spots on the board itself.

Also dont forget, if you have nvme it disables some lanes, see the manual for that it shows you which lanes get disabled if you got a nvme, however mine was a sata ssd and it still did that. (which it shouldnt)

it would be hard to figure out if you don't know what resource you are running out of.
DMA channels?
I would try this process:
-power down
-remove all the extra cards, reboot into bios, change any setting and change it back, save and reboot.
  • go into windows and disable the gpu sound driver, and any extra driver related to the GPU.
  • power down, add next card, boot into bios and toggle any setting to force a bios scan, then boot into windows.
  • again go into windows control panel, disable any added sound device for the next card.
(confirm the second card is properly installed.

if you get this far you can try the third card via the same procedure and when done, you enable the sound device you want to run after each device basic functions is ok.

it is likely to be quirky. (lacking SLI support)
getting two cards to work at the same time would be a good start

you might run cmd.exe as an admin then run
msinfo32 /report msiout.txt
and provide the report it might show the resource problem

Last edited:

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
it would be hard to figure out if you don't know what resource you are running out of.
DMA channels?
I would try this process:
-power down
-remove all the extra cards, reboot into bios, change any setting and change it back, save and reboot.
  • go into windows and disable the gpu sound driver, and any extra driver related to the GPU.
  • power down, add next card, boot into bios and toggle any setting to force a bios scan, then boot into windows.
  • again go into windows control panel, disable any added sound device for the next card.
(confirm the second card is properly installed.

if you get this far you can try the third card via the same procedure and when done, you enable the sound device you want to run after each device basic functions is ok.

it is likely to be quirky. (lacking SLI support)
getting two cards to work at the same time would be a good start

you might run cmd.exe as an admin then run
msinfo32 /report msiout.txt
and provide the report it might show the resource problem
I had done that in the past including disabling anything else that might use resources, bluetooth, wifi stuff etc, didn't make any difference unfortunately :/
I even tried different 4 GPUs instead of the same ones, including 10 different risers just incase