Question Error with brand new 5600xt AMD Radeon card.

pmbacker1

Reputable
Mar 13, 2018
I bought a returned GFX card from Fry's Electronics. I often pass on used merchandise but as my son is about to start school and we have a bunch more money now that I found a good job, I wanted to spoil myself and it was all that they had. The fact that I was already looking for a good GFX card (I have the XFX AMD Radeon 480 RX card currently and my system is stable), I was looking for a better 580 Radeon one that but this is what they had instead.

With that being said, I bought an MSI AMD Radeon 5600xt card yesterday and I'm having problems from the start and I need some help before calling this a lost cause and returning it.

My question is, the returned (all they had, Fry's is empty right now) MSI Radeon 5600xt card works well while I boot in SAFE mode but I cannot be able to even run it in the normal mode after installing the online drivers for it from Asus.com. I heard of how the newer drivers are awful for it but I both cannot find the older ones as well as having no idea if Fry's just replaced a "Tested to Death" GFX card to the store shelves.

To help further as I think that this may be part of the problem, I am running MD Ryzen 3 1300x Quad Core processor and I am running my DDR4 Corsair ram at a small bit of overclock at the 2400 speed now and I also don't think that I have a power problem but I guess I could respond back later after I check it, I do have a power checker that I could do, if asked to try it for both the mother board as well as the 2x4 link for the card.

As I originally thought that the motherboard, itself was having a problem, I went to Newegg (Once again, Fry's is EMPTY now, it truly is.) and I bought the copy and paste below of the receipt.

May I politely as, what can I try now or should check next? I put my old GFX card back in and the very lead into the card as well as the other parts of my computer work find and I'm truly don't want to give up on this card. Please help me.

Thank you,

The list below is the parts that I bought as part of me is thinking that my CPU and motherboard are having problems. I'm figuring that this may be the reason why and as replacing the BIOS with the newest one and no change didn't work, I'm out of ideas of what to do. To finish this though, my current ram is a faster version (not OCed a tad bit like my current ram is) and I'm not running ANYTHING else than the GFX card and everything else is from onboard such as I'm running onboard sound and the like, straight from the motherboard.

Any other ideas?

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory for AMD Ryzen ...

Sold and Shipped by Newegg

Qty: 1

Add To Wish ListBuy Again

COMBO #3960549

AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000031BOX Desktop Processor

Qty: 1

Add To Wish ListBuy Again

COMBO #3960549

ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac AM4 AMD Promontory X370 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do the following:
  • Download the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
  • Download the latest WHQL Radeon Adrenalin drivers from AMD's website - should be version 20.2.2 from March 5
  • uninstall the Asus drivers
  • reboot the computer into safe mode
  • run DDU, choosing the "uninstall drivers and reboot"
  • install the Adrenalin drivers you downloaded from step 2

You should be good at that point.

Out of curiosity, what is the brand and exact model number of the power supply you're using?

pmbacker1

Reputable
Mar 13, 2018
I tried both. I sorta realized this after the fact and I did a fresh install with the correct drivers from MSI instead.

In fact, I formatted and reinstalled my Windows 10 (I couldn't even downgrade to 8.1 as the card isn't supported there.), installed all of the drivers and then the card's from the main Radeon site for the drivers and I said what the card was, which is the 5600 XT one with Mech "https://www.amd.com/en/support"

I've sort of given up on the card unless told differently or until the new hardware comes in the mail.

I also called Fry's Electronics and I couldn't even return it right now anyways until the Cornovirus backs down a bit in "May" apparently...I called.

So my question is, will this card work on my AMD Ryzen 3 1300x, quad core or should it work, but there is a flaw with the card and it won't work.

Also, my computer is back up and running again with my Radeon 1700gt card and is stable here.

Any other ideas as I would like to try them.

Thanks.