Error1402. Key UNKNOWNDfrgSnapin.1CLSID.

Failed attempts to install an application (Diskeeper), produce this message.

"Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID.
Verify you have sufficient access to that key."

I used regedit to search the registry for DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID, but no such
entry was found. (Would this absence account for the "UNKNOWN" in the error
message?)

Is this a WinXP problem (as opposed to an application problem), and if it is
an XP problem, how is it solved?

I am working in an Administrator account, running XP Pro, on a stand-alone
computer.

Regards.

It sounds to me like there's a problem with the install routine on the
Diskeeper software. It should have created this key prior to looking for it.

You might try downloading it again to see if a corrupted file is the problem.

Cycle Wrote:
> Failed attempts to install an application (Diskeeper), produce this
> message.
>
> "Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID.
> Verify you have sufficient access to that key."

I've got the solution for you and I'm sure that it works, because I had
the same problem and it is now solved!

1. Go in the registry editor. The top most folder listed is
HKEY_Classes_Root.
Right-click on this folder and select PERMISSIONS from the menu.
2. Once there, look through the permissions listed and make sure that
Administrators and System are both listed. If they are not, please
refer to
the bottom of this write-up under "Conditional Step".
3. If they are both listed, make sure that both have Full Control
checked on ALLOW. If they are not yet checked, click in that box and
select
APPLY. This will put the proper permissions through the registry and
should
set you up for a good installation. Once finished with this area select
OK
and close the Registry Editor.
4. Once done, retry the installation of Diskeeper.

Conditional Step
---------------------
If you've found that System and/or Administrators are not listed in
the
permissions section, you will need to add them. To do so, click the
Add
Button and in the following screen type System or Administrators
depending
on which is missing. (You may only do one at a time). Once typed,
select the
CHECK NAME button which will end up highlighting the name and then you
can
select OK.

Have a nice day! :)
Revesbleus

--
revesbleus

"revesbleus" <revesbleus.1sq3pr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Cycle Wrote:
>> Failed attempts to install an application (Diskeeper), produce this
>> message.
>>
>> "Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID.
>> Verify you have sufficient access to that key."
>>

> I've got the solution for you and I'm sure that it works, because I had
> the same problem and it is now solved!
>
> Revesbleus

Hi Revesbleus,

Thank you for sharing this information.

When I had no response to my original query in this group, I contacted the
makers of Diskeeper, who sent me an email containing the solution you
mention.

Unfortunately, that solution did not work for me. I had to have additional
steps given to me over the telephone (and because they were never written
down, I do not remember what they were) before things started working again.

It was kind of you to think of me and my problem, and I appreciate your
actions.

Regards,

Cycle.

I have almost the exact same problem. I get the error:

"Error 1402. Could not open key:
UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID.
Verify you have sufficient access to that key."

I have also run reg cleaners, downloaded different versions of
Diskeeper and still get the same error. What is weird is that I had
installed DK 9 and it worked fine, but when I downloaded the update I
got the error listed abouve on the instal. When I tried to re-install
the original version (that worked fine before) I got the same error.
Weird. I searched for the reg key but it does not seen to be in the
registry. This is making me crazy.

serch for DfrgSnapin in the registry - delete all references to it...
you should find 4 of them... then reinstall the orig dk9. The update
will still not install but the orig will..

doug

Gordon

pissythehutt wrote:
> I have almost the exact same problem. I get the error:

PLEASE quote the post you are replying to. This is NOT a chat room.

Thank you.

Gordon

dlenos wrote:
> serch for DfrgSnapin in the registry - delete all references to it...
> you should find 4 of them... then reinstall the orig dk9. The update
> will still not install but the orig will..
>
> doug

PLEASE quote the post you are replying to. This is NOT a chat room.

Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS