Question Errors in posting

Feb 24, 2019
Hi all,

I recently built my first PC and am running into a few post errors. I would really appreciate any guidance and thanks in advance. :)

My specs are:
asus rog strix h370i
intel i5 8400
crucial 8gb 2666 ram
gtx 1070 ftw editions
nzxt kraken x52
Samsung 1tb ssd 860 evo

I completed my build yesterday and on my first boot it posted and went straight to BIOS. The only issue was that the cpu led (green) was always on despite the fact that in the bios my cpu was recognized correctly. As I didn't have windows yet I shut down and left till today. I booted today and I lost display output from my graphics card and both my vga and cpu led's were on.
I took out my GPU and plugged display into my mobo and it works but my CPU led light is still on and i cant regain my GPU display output.

I would really appreciate any guidance here i am very lost.

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
Did you choose XMP in bios ? Or did you do anything in bios?
Like trying to overclock or something else.

Is that only one Ram or do you have 2x 4GB?
When you have 2x4GB of RAM, on which Slots are they plugged in? A1 A2 B1 B2 ?

Feb 24, 2019
I have made no changes to the bios and incase I had done by accident I reset bios to default :(. I only have one stick of 8gb ram in slot A1. Bios even recognises the ram.
Wow okay so I rebooted 3 times after reconnecting the ram module and on the third go the cpu led turned off :) just tried to reconnect gpu aswell and vga light is off aswell :). Thanks for your help!!! Another quick question then, I currently have my gpu powered by a single rail from my psu even though my gpu is a 6+8 pin or dual 8 pin. Do you recomend I use 2 separate rails for power or does it not matter?

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
Wow okay so I rebooted 3 times after reconnecting the ram module and on the third go the cpu led turned off :) just tried to reconnect gpu aswell and vga light is off aswell :). Thanks for your help!!! Another quick question then, I currently have my gpu powered by a single rail from my psu even though my gpu is a 6+8 pin or dual 8 pin. Do you recomend I use 2 separate rails for power or does it not matter?

Glad to hear that :D
Did you just reconnect it or did you plug it in the other slot?

That 1070 will need 2x 8 Pin, you should connect both to the PSU, if it's what you mean.

Feb 24, 2019
Glad to hear that :D
Did you just reconnect it or did you plug it in the other slot?

That 1070 will need 2x 8 Pin, you should connect both to the PSU, if it's what you mean.
Just connected it straight back into the same A1 slot. I must've not put it in correctly first time (classic newbie mistake).

Re psu: Sorry I explained that badly. I have a fully modular psu and have 2 rails for vga on the actual psu. Currently Im using one of those rails and have just used a single cable that goes from single 8pin to dual 8pin. Do you recomend using both rails of the psu with single 8pin to 8pin connectors or does it not matter?

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
Just connected it straight back into the same A1 slot. I must've not put it in correctly first time (classic newbie mistake).

Re psu: Sorry I explained that badly. I have a fully modular psu and have 2 rails for vga on the actual psu. Currently Im using one of those rails and have just used a single cable that goes from single 8pin to dual 8pin. Do you recomend using both rails of the psu with single 8pin to 8pin connectors or does it not matter?

Ha, as always. :p

Yep, use both rails/cable's from your PSU to your GPU.

Feb 24, 2019
Okay, will change em around. thanks again ur amazing!! :) also looks like my display cable is broken which is why my vga light was flashing, using hdmi works perfectly will just have to buy a new one :(.

Reactions: Abstuurz