ESATA Dropping Off System

findjammer

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hi All,

I've been running my current setup with an external eSATA (Seagate Freeagent Extreme 1GB) for nearly 2 years without any issues. I've recently added another eSATA Lacie q2 Quadra to the system and shortly after that these two drives will randomly totally drop off the system.

They've even dropped off the system as they are being read from or written to ... very odd.

I've read that a possible solution (with caveats) is to turn off write caching in the policies tab of the drive properties. The problem is that the OS tells me that the drivers don't allow this to be turned off.

Anyone have a possible solution to this?

Cheers,

James

findjammer

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
SOLVED:

I found a similar thread on another forum that stated disabling the "Home Group" fixed this problem. I had recently enabled a home group on my home network so tried disabling it ... low and behold the odd drive behaviour has ceased ... at least so far.

Anyone know why enabling Home Group would result in eSATA drives randomly dropping off the system?

findjammer

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hmm ... OK, a not solved!

I have the lacie q2 plugged into the eSATA port provided as standard on the P6T Delux V2 mobo and the Seagate Extreme plugged into an Akasa expander port slotted into one of the PCI backplate mounts and then plugged into one of the internal SATA ports.

The one plugged into the internal SATA port is still dropping off the system but the eSATA (Lacie) is fine.