ESATA, USB 3.0 or Firewire for an external HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advice Pro

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I'm going to put my HDD into an external enclosure. My PC only has USB 2.0 ports, but I can always get either adapters, a hub, or add-in card for ESATA, USB 3.0 or Firewire. I don't know if USB 2.0 will be too slow with an enclosure of 480 Mbps of whatever speed is available. The HDD has 320GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 8MB cache. I want to know what is the best are my best options!

Also, would you know of, or could find, a good SATA II & IDE external enclosure?

Solution
In performance terms they're all about the same (except for USB 2.0 of course). I decided to use USB 3.0 because it's more universally available. Although not all computers have USB 3.0, they've all got USB 2.0 and you can still use a USB 3.0 drive on them (with reduced performance) if you need to.
In performance terms they're all about the same (except for USB 2.0 of course). I decided to use USB 3.0 because it's more universally available. Although not all computers have USB 3.0, they've all got USB 2.0 and you can still use a USB 3.0 drive on them (with reduced performance) if you need to.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.