Escaping XP's welcome page

I’m not sure where to post this, so if it’s in the wrong forum, mods,
feel free to move it.

The problem I’m having is embarrassingly basic, and also rather minor,
but here goes:

I recently downloaded and installed a certain program. In order for
that program to work, I was further required to download and install
something from Microsoft entitled “.Net.” Now, I’ve got no idea what,
exactly, .Net is, but I can see in my control panel that I’ve installed
“Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.”

Anyway, after installing .Net I discovered that some settings had been
changed on my computer. One, in particular, I find particularly
annoying: I now have to log in to the “account” I want use every time I
start my computer.

Before I installed .NET, XP would automatically open my desktop on
start-up. Afterwards, I am forced to specify which account I want to
use. Since we’ve only got one account on the computer, this is an
unnecessary step. But I don’t know how to re-configure XP to
automatically log in/open up our default account, if that makes any
sense.

In other words, is there a way to bypass the “welcome screen” in
Windows XP if your computer only has one active user account?

Help or suggestions, anyone?

--
Svinlesha

1. Click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

2. Highlight the user account you want automatically logged on.

3. Uncheck Users must enter a username and password............

4. Click Apply.

5. In the next dialog, enter the password, if any, for the user you chose in step 2 and OK your way out.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.