Question ESD from computer chair

Jun 12, 2020
Hello everyone,

So this is a problem I really didn't anticipate when I got my new Secret Labs chair.

This was such an important investment for me as I've been working from home lately and might still be doing so for a while after the pandemic is over. The long hours sitting in front of my computer has really done a number on my body. So I [redacted] invested in a quality chair. I decided to get the fabric option since I have a cat and he likes to destroy anything and everything leather in the house.

The chair is perfect and I love it, but my only concern is that I generate a lot of static electricity while sitting in it. Every time I get up, I seem to get shocked on something. Normally, I wouldn't care too much about this, but it seems to be affecting my system. Since I got the chair, every time I stand up, the monitor blacks out for a split second. I've also been getting some funky problems like starting up my system one morning to get a "repairing disk" screen.

This really worries me. I try to keep my hands on something metal when I stand up, but that doesn't seem to help much. I still see my display flicker on and off.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
You might be having a grounding issue in your crib. Might want to call in a certified electrician and see if your system is grounded. Also, do you work in a carpeted environment and rub your feet a lot on the carpet with socks on? (not kidding, there are people who do this as opposed to using a fidget cube).

Jun 12, 2020
You might be having a grounding issue in your crib. Might want to call in a certified electrician and see if your system is grounded. Also, do you work in a carpeted environment and rub your feet a lot on the carpet with socks on? (not kidding, there are people who do this as opposed to using a fidget cube).

So the answer to that last question is a definite no. My floor is carpet, but I like to be barefoot around the house and even then, my desk has a wooden base that I like to prop my feet on to.

The chair I was using before this one was a faux leather chair and I never had any problems with ESD until now.

Jan 15, 2021
Hello Trombean,

Finally found someone having the same problem, I got a chair from secretlab as well. It is a Titan model softweave, I have exactly the same problem as you but I guess more severe. My computer has been crashing alot... and after a few weeks I finally found out was it causing the chrasing. It happens almost everytime the moment I stand up from the chair. I finally did enough experimenting to know for sure that it is nothing else. Been checking cables, computer, running tests etc. The crashing only happens at the exact same time I stand up. Also if I touch a part of the chair which is from metal, I get an electric shock. As for gaming chair I do not think this is acceptable.

Anyway my real question was if u had found a solution to this.
I would be happy to hear from you since I am sitting on the most uncomfortable chair atm just so my computer doesn't crash all the time.

Jan 15, 2021
Very late response on this topic, but as u can read in my comment I have got the same problem. I have got a wooden floor and do not rub my feet over it haha. Hope someone can help

Jun 12, 2020
Hello Trombean,

Finally found someone having the same problem, I got a chair from secretlab as well. It is a Titan model softweave, I have exactly the same problem as you but I guess more severe. My computer has been crashing alot... and after a few weeks I finally found out was it causing the chrasing. It happens almost everytime the moment I stand up from the chair. I finally did enough experimenting to know for sure that it is nothing else. Been checking cables, computer, running tests etc. The crashing only happens at the exact same time I stand up. Also if I touch a part of the chair which is from metal, I get an electric shock. As for gaming chair I do not think this is acceptable.

Anyway my real question was if u had found a solution to this.
I would be happy to hear from you since I am sitting on the most uncomfortable chair atm just so my computer doesn't crash all the time.

Hi Rick,

I haven't really found a permanent solution yet. But what I have been doing is spraying down my chair with anti-static spray every once in a while. It wears off pretty fast, especially if I'm getting up out of my chair a lot, but it does offer some temporary relief from the problem.

I saw a video on youtube from Jayz2cents recently and he had the same problem. Tried an anti-static mat and it didn't really seem to fix the problem. So I'm a little nervous to spend all that money on a solution that may or may not work.

So I'm still sort of at square one trying to fix the problem. I was thinking of seeing if I could find some kind of seat cover for it, but that hurts because I think the chair is so beautiful and I would hate to cover it up.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help. If I do find a solution, I'll let you know!