Esd possible from store checking board?

PickledGopher

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Hello,

I bought a motherboard and the store said it was there policy to check the pins with me... but the clerk just opened the bag and grabbed the board took the cap off and of course all was fine, but now i'm thinking he never used any esd strap or anything.. is there is even the slightest chance this could damage the board?

There is a possibilty of static discharge when doing that but, I think you would've been aware if he had been shocked. The clerk could've grounded himself simply touching a counter or shelf or... I would like to think he had taken simple precautions like that. I know personally, it has become such a habit to ground myself before opening computer products or getting into my units that I'm not even conscience of doing it anymore (I've never used a grounding strap).

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Absolutely, whenever there is a disparity between two objects each having a different voltage ESD is possible. I would have rejected the motherboard at purchase if they had done that. I would suggest building your system and seeing if the board works but the problem with ESD is that small discharges can grow into large problems over time. Basically, your motherboard might be fine today but the discharge may have reduced its lifetime. Next time just buy from a different retailer.

PickledGopher

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Some similarities but different store. Same motherboard Gigabyte UD5H and a Canadian retailer.. Memory Express. They are usually great with everything, especially price matching.

I was starting to think, much like 11796pcs said, that there could have been a discharge that could cause a not so apparent problem now but pops up later.

The clerk was actually pretty careful, i exaggerated a little with the just grabbed part.. i did mention i'd rather it be factory sealed but he said he couldn't sell it if it wasn't checked. I didn't like it but thought i was being anal so just went with it. There was no indication of it being previously opened or anything but when thinking back i don't remember any antistatic precaution which i didn't consider at the time. He was careful when removing it from the bag and opening the latch etc. and held the board from the bottom.

I can return it within 7 days and order online but then have to wait a week, there is no competition for them in Calgary.. i'm thinking though i'm probably still being a little anal and should just start the build, but it still bugs me.