Question ESET blocke a website while I checked my email

SigmaTheFox

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
I was looking through my email with the Windows 10 email app (I didn't open any), and suddenly ESET decided to block this URL moiawsorigin.clo.footprintdns.com.
This is the full log of the detection

TimeURLStatusApplicationUserIP addressSHA1
10/24/2019 4:45:57 PM Blocked by PUA blacklistC:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exeSIGMA-PC\valer185.53.178.9729DAFC684B5131B0C6CA59DE4ABDABC0D4CB822

I read that "footprintdns.com" is a domain owned by Microsoft, but I would like to know if it really is a threat or not.
I scan my pc around twice a week for viruses (once with malwarebytes and once with ESET) and last time I scanned (2 days ago with mablwarebytes) there weren't any.
The biggest question I have is, why did Cortana's SearchUI.exe try to access that website?

D

Deleted member 14196

cortana calls home, plain and simple. ESET is garbage too BTW. absolute. you are better off using built in windows defender and add malwarebytes to your mix.

SigmaTheFox

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
ESET is garbage too BTW. absolute. you are better off using built in windows defender and add malwarebytes to your mix.
I mean, I've been using ESET with malwarebytes as a second opinion scanner for over 3 years now, mostly because of the low performance impact it has, and in those 3 years I only had 1-2 undetected viruses because ESET always blocked the new ones (malwarebytes never finds anything because of this). I also tend to only go to websites I know and never download anything from unknown sources

D

Deleted member 14196

that's fine, but Defender is every bit as good and does not suck life out of the pc. I've had too many issues like you have where they block something they shouldn't. I had to abandon ESET as a result. have never been infected using defender and malwarbytes either.