[SOLVED] ESET from Micro Center. Like it or not?

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
Bought a Dell Alienware at Micro Center, yesterday. Salesman talked me into buying two licenses for ESET Internet Security.

Retail is $179 each and bought myself two of them for $160. Seems complicated and is about covering Android devices and laptops.

I have used regular commercial antivirus like Norton, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes and Wise Care 365. Should I keep ESET Internet Security and use it instead?

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
The card I got from MicroCenter is $179 for one device for 3 years. MC gave me a break and it is $81.99. But ESET home page shows I bought two cards For a total of $164. But ESET is $119 if I bought from their website.

I used to buy Internet Security software until I acquired Windows 10 but now I regard it as a waste of money, especially as the cost of some renewal licences is extortionate in my opinion.
With Windows 10, if you stick to safe practices like avoiding "dodgy" websites & cracked software, Windows Defender is all you need.
That's all I use and I've had no reason to regret it --- I've never been hit with any malware on Windows 10.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
As you've already purchased it, discussion and debate over the merits seems of very limited value at this point.

No, I have 30 days from MicroCenter to return it and get a refund. I have about two weeks more to apply for a refund.

I am eager to see if it is worth having to keep. Do you have a pertinent response to my original question?

D

Deleted member 14196

i used to use it but stopped when it caused issues with software and games. im sure those are fixed now, that was a very long time ago, but Windows Defender and safe web browsing practices is just as good

USAFRet

Titan
Personally, I would find it useless at best.

I use 3 things:
  1. The built in Windows Defender AV.
  2. An occasional scan with MalwareBytes.
  3. The squishy stuff between my ears.

What, specifically, does this ESET package do for you that other options do not?

No, I have 30 days from MicroCenter to return it and get a refund. I have about two weeks more to apply for a refund.

I am eager to see if it is worth having to keep. Do you have a pertinent response to my original question?

As long as you stay away from the infection-prone sites that dish out 'free movie players' and 'free game patches', most are generally happy with MS's default Security Center. (I've used Kaspersky Free for 18 months or so, and find it flawless, barring any deeply ingrained paranoia over a Russian -owned AV company...) With so many good free products out there, I am generally inclined to be opposed to paying $35 annually for any paid AV.

Do a search on Youtube for 'PC Security Channel' for quite a few discussions/comparisons of MS Security and numerous other assorted AV products against actual malware/ransomware.