Question Estimated TDP for overclocked Intel Core i5-11600K and RTX 3080?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, Guys,

From the internet searching I have done it appears that an overclocked Core I5-11600k pulls about 200 watts and an overclocked RTX 3080 pulls as much as 400 watts.

Question 1: Has anyone experienced significantly different peak power draws?

Question 2: Is it not true that the two to one ratio of total powers required indicates that radiator fin volume dedicated to the CPU and GPU should also be in the ratio of about 2:1?

Discussion: fin volume is a simple and conveniant method of comparing the cooling ability of radiators of similar construction and is equal to the Length x Width X Thickness of the finned portion. It estimates the total surface area of the fins.

I look forward to your knowledge, opinion and discussion since I am just about ready for a final preassembly parts review!

Merry Christmas!

Larry

GraptikBlizzard

Prominent
Jul 3, 2021
Once you step outside of the default spec of these components, it's hard to say what kind of power they're going to draw. It also depends hugely on what kind of overclock you're doing. Do you want to get the 11600K to 4.9GHz on all cores constant or 5.1GHz? Those will likely require vastly different amounts of voltage. Also, your 11600K will perform different to someone elses. While someone may be able to get to 5.1GHz on a certain voltage, it may take your chip much more voltage to get there. All of these factors will impact how much power your parts are going to draw so no one can really say for sure. If I were using this information to plan what PSU I was going to buy, just buy the absolute maximum you would need for any kind of overclock and still have room to spare, just to be safe.