Question Eternal black screen during driver installation and more

Pr1nceHapi

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Hi everyone. I've got an ongoing problem since about two weeks.

These are my current specs:
CM Storm Scout II case
AsRock H97 Fatal1ty Performance motherboard
Intel core I7 4771 stock, cooled by a Cryorig H5U (idle ~30, load ~55/60)
4X4GB HyperX ram
Cruacial MX500 500GB SSD
WD 500GB HDD 7200rpm
WD 1TB HDD 5400rpm
Seagate 1TB ext. HDD (not always plugged in)
ASUS GTX780 3GB DUII OC
Corsair CM750M

I always keep track of dust in my case and monitor the temperatures hourly. I'm a keen pc user, been using internet since 1993 and 99% of hard to solve issues I do actually solve myself. Here's my to me still unsolvable issue:

About 6 months ago, I had a Gigabyte HD7950 3GB WINDFORCE-3 in my PC. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but some day after booting up my pc, I had no display. On either monitor. I switched several monitors around on any connector (hdmi, vga, dvi and even dp), no luck. I tried the card in the second PCI-E slot and was able to continue doing my usual stuff. Gaming, browsing, Netflix but also producing music. Not sure what driver was installed around June, July 2019.
This all went well for about a month and the same crap happened again. I switched back to the PCI-E X16 slot and no luck. I thought that my then 6,5 year old gfx card had died. Swa, 6,5 years, who can you blame? I discussed the issue with a colleague of mine and he gave me his old ASUS GTX 780 3GB card, which is an OC one by default.
I decided to reinstall Windows at that time, just to be sure it was a fresh installation from the get go.
Everything went well and I enjoyed my pc again with all joy. Until the day before Christmas 2019. The same <Mod Edit> happened. First, I was playing GTA Online, my screen sort of froze with an all-Grey display on both monitors. I immediately hit the reset button and was unable to boot into Windows. I did however see the BIOS.
After several attempts, I decided to boot into ZorinOS via the bootmenu (I have had the dualboot W10/ZorinOS for a long time as I do use Linux frequently) but the whole system hung after logging into ZorinOS. I had to hard reset again.
Now, I was unsure of what was causing this, mainly because it differed from the summer 2019 issue, so I unplugged the power for a period of time, went out to run some errands, came back after some two hours. Just to find out I could boot into Windows again. But......
I had display on both monitors, but on a very low resolution. As if the drivers were not there. And indeed, Windows did not see the nVidia drivers. I had display via the GTX780, but no drivers were installed.
I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers, 441.66, and started the installation. Some three minutes in, both displays went black and it stayed black. I did a couple of hard resets and even installed a different W10, Enterprise this time, repeated the steps and the same crap repeated. I then shut down the pc, unplugged the power, took the cmos battery out, put the GTX780 in the X8 PCI-E slot, put the cmos battery back in, plugged in the power and booted into Windows. Again, downloaded the drivers just to be sure the download was not interrupted and thus corrupt, and booted up the nVidia installation. Now it immediately went black after I started the driver installation. Not after three or so minutes, but immediately. I've repeated all steps and so far nothing helps. Tried different monitors, different cables, changed the 6pin/8pin cabled to the other GPU-slot on my PSU, nothing helps.
I changed the cmos battery with a new one, because I noticed that I had to reset the date and time every time I unplugged the PSU from the wall socket. This usually indicated that the CR2032 battery is dead or dying.
Now, I ordered a brand new PSU. My wife's PC needs a better PSU anyway, so if the new PSU isn't the problem, there was no money loss if you know what I mean.
I can hardly believe both gfx cards are dead and both PCI-E slots are defective. The more since I do get display on both monitors via the gfx cards.
Let me be clear, I'm not your average pc user. I've been a fixer and I've been building mid-end, high-end and top notch workstations since 1999. I also check, check, double check everything I do and if there is an issue, I usually find the solution. This however, I have never ever encountered and after trying to find the solution for nearly two weeks, I'm in the dark.
I hope you can help me out here.

Before I build in the new PSU, I would like to see some solutions by you all. I'm thinking that my PSU is the failing part, mainly because I had the issue last summer and then got a gfx card that is using less power during full load (I play games such as GTA5, Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn but I also produce music in Ableton and Serato Studio, both heavy software in the industry).

Thanks in advance.
Youri

Last edited by a moderator:

Pr1nceHapi

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
So, because I'm sometimes not too patient and I'm still enjoying winter holiday until works continues next Monday, I decided to install the new PSU (Gigabyte B700h) and see what happens. It booted up and I'm now looking at the main menu of Far Cry New Dawn. Let's just hope this is it so I can move on again. Will keep you posted.

Pr1nceHapi

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I did the whole testing, uninstalling and so forth with DDU again and inserted my older HD7950 3GB Windforce-3 again. Windows loads up, no issues there. Remember, both monitors are plugged into the gfx card, not into the motherboard. I have both displays showing me W10 and its desktop. Now, when I start installing the latest AMD drivers, the same happens as what occurred with the GTX780 3GB. While installing the drivers, the screen goes black and nothing happens. I'm pretty sure the screen connection is lost and the pc still runs. It's frigging annoying and I'm on the edge of crying. I've got so many things still to do, which requires a gfx card. I'm not really in the position of buying a new mobo/cpu/mem or gfx card due to personal things. Before I tried the things above, I did try an old nVidia driver, to no luck.