Question Eternal Return crashes after GPU spiked to 100

Jul 13, 2022
Hi Everyone!

I'm currently playing Eternal Return on Steam lately but the game is crashing 99% every game.

Just noticed that my GPU performance in my task bar is hitting 100% that causes the crash.

I already sent a ticket to the support team of the game and ask me to sfc scan my windows, and never heard from them since.

Things that I've done:

Updated my DirectX from 11 to 12
Updated to the latest Nvidia version.
Checked all possible updates in Windows Update.

It's just weird cause I'm not experiencing this kind of freeze and lags from my other games like League of Legends, DotA2, MK11 and Valorant.

System: AORUS B450 M
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3400Mhz
PSU: Gigabyte 550w
RAM: 3200mhz 2x8
GPU: GTX 1650

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information?

How old is that 550 W Gigabyte PSU? History of heavy gaming use? Condition: (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Even Viewer. Either one of both may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event that precede the crashes.

Start with Reliability History. User friendly and the time line format can be helpful as to when problems first began or show some pattern to the errors.

Could indeed be buggy or corrupted Windows files.

Try the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Jul 13, 2022

How old is that 550 W Gigabyte PSU? History of heavy gaming use? Condition: (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Look in Reliability History and Even Viewer. Either one of both may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event that precede the crashes.

Start with Reliability History. User friendly and the time line format can be helpful as to when problems first began or show some pattern to the errors.

Try the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
Hi Ralston18,

I bought my PSU last January of 2021 it's not that old.

Regarding the Reliablity History, I don't know how to navigate that, haha. I'm not that so Tech-savvy :3

Jul 13, 2022

References:

I updated my post, Thanks man!!

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding Reliability History and Event Viewer.

The only way to learn your way around is to open the tools and explore. There is no need to rush so just take your time.

Study the information being provided then go in deeper or back out as necessary. Click links and so forth to learn what happens.

Reliability History is much more straightforward. Event Viewer is much more cumbersome but with a bit of time and effort you will learn your way around and be able to determine or decide on the logs that are applicable to any given problem.

For the record, logs can be cleared but I do not recommend doing so. At least not immediately - the risk being that some meaningful errors could be lost.

However if a log contains multiple occurrences of one or more errors simply make note of them, google accordingly, then clear the log.

Not so much a matter of being tech-savy per se.

Not at uncommon for the presented information and details to be less than helpful. Clicking for details can make that all even more confusing.

The described problem " Eternal Return crashes after GPU spiked to 100" suggests (to me anyway) that the PSU is a likely suspect.

1 1/2 years old - heavy gaming use. Correct? Remember that PSUs provide three voltages (3, 5 and 12) to various system components.

A problem with any given voltage is all that is needed to wreak havoc.

The PSU may be beginning to falter or fail in some manner and unable to fulfill the GPU's power demands or perhaps the power demands of some combination of system components. How many disk drives?

If it is only that one game causing the crashes and there are no other errors or indications of other problems (via Reliability History and Event Viewer) then Eternal Return itself may be the culprit. Is Eternal Return comparatively the most hardware (GPU perhaps) demanding of the games you play? Check the recommended hardware requirements for all games.

Interim option: remove the game and reinstall. May clear out some bug or corruption.

Jul 13, 2022
Hi Ralston,

Thank you for replying. Upon checking Reliability History, there was a Windows Hardware Error

and this is the description:
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffb1841fb53460
Parameter 2: fffff804121204d0
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 3314
OS version: 10_0_19044
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033