Question Ethanol spill on laptop

gtrayyy

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
Dear All,

i am currently angry at myself due to the situation at hand.
So what hapenned was that a large amount of ethanol 96%, medical grade was spilled on my laptop, and by spilled I mean the laptop was literally drenched in ethanol, I’d say as much as 0,6L of fluid was spilled on it.

This was around a day ago, following the spill I immediately unplugged everything, flipped it, and removed the battery, standard procedure. I am just going to mention the parts that the ethanol did not reach, those are the battery, ssd and hdd, and the RAM,
So basically everything else was either drenched, or well covered in ethanol.

i let my laptop dry for around a day, and today when I tried powering it on, only with the cable, no battery, it does the following:
Turns on, boots (ASUS logo comes with loading symbol, black screen, black screen stays for 5-10 seconds, reboots, process goes in cycles.

So also I’d like to mention, I completely disassembled it, motherboard, battery, fans, mousepad, and you get the point, if it had a screw, i took it off, and removed the part, I did not touch the monitor however.

in addition, i am no way an expert in any of these things, i just have general knowledge, so what do you guys think is the issue, and is this laptop salvageable? Also could it be that something is simply not screwed in properly or attached, and that’s why this is hapenning?

the laptop is an ASUS FX80

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

When you disassembled the laptop, did you give the innards a wipe with isopropyl alcohol? I think the laptop is not damaged, rather that the OS might be corrupted. You might want to see if you can get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely.

Then inspect that all hardware shows up in BIOS.

gtrayyy

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

When you disassembled the laptop, did you give the innards a wipe with isopropyl alcohol? I think the laptop is not damaged, rather that the OS might be corrupted. You might want to see if you can get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely.

Then inspect that all hardware shows up in BIOS.
Thank you for the welcome!
So i did not wipe it with isopropyl, but i wiped it again with ethanol, i couldnt find isopropyl, it was late at night, so I went into the BIOS and you are correct I can remain there indefinitely!

Howeverr, for the BIOS, it detects all of the hardware, I will also attach a picture momentarily to showcase what the BIOS says

gtrayyy

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
Thank you for the welcome!
So i did not wipe it with isopropyl, but i wiped it again with ethanol, i couldnt find isopropyl, it was late at night, so I went into the BIOS and you are correct I can remain there indefinitely!

Howeverr, for the BIOS, it detects all of the hardware, I will also attach a picture momentarily to showcase what the BIOS says
I will go out and buy isopropyl ASAP, it might be difficult however since it is christmas here and everything is closed, I’m from North Macedonia,

gtrayyy

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
Ok so I tried to upload an image, but it won't allow me, tells me something went wrong and to contact an administrator, also I apologize for missin letters, I am typin from a 10 year old laptop and some of da keys don't work.

Last edited: