News Ethereum Hits 15-Month Low As The Merge Is Delayed Again

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I mine a little on the side when my rig's gpu isn't under heavy use (ie watching shows, web browseing, MAME, etc), since my GPU is watercooled I tend to not worry as much about it as much. Plus my RTX 2080 Ti (and my CPU platform) are in need of an upgrade this winter anyways. Hardware is expensive and you want to get the most out of it. My cpu platform is proof of that. Point being I am hardly surprised though miners are pushing back after investing in said hardware. But everyone knows this is coming, stop investing in hardware. I don't consider myself to have much skin in the game but for those who, I still get it. However, I think we should move to more a environmentally friendly model all the same. Force PoW to renewable energy only, tricky to prove I get that but not impossible. I'd say more about how but some ideas (and I do have some) are worth keeping to yourself until you can act on them!

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Burnout from moving too fast on something that has been delayed by a few years already? Or burned out from push-back from miners and hardware manufacturers who don't want their money cows to go udders-up?
Seems more likely, the fear is with the developers. With crypto values already nose diving, the developers are probably concerned that moving to POS in this market could well crater the value of ethereum and make it an also ran. They need a stronger market to implement this so there is room for it to drop and recover without collapsing totally.

InvalidError

Titan
There are way bigger concerns with the economy in general which is pulling all the markets down including crypto, than legislation in the EU.
Few concerns can affect PoW crypto worse than all-out bans in major markets regardless of whatever else is happening and much of the pressure to ban PoW crypto is the global energy crisis partly but not entirely caused by Putin's war on Ukraine.

All cryptos are going to go to their inherent value of zero. No government with a functioning economy will tolerate a second currency existing alongside their fiat. It's trivial to ban exchanges (as was shown in China) at which point you can no longer spend your cryptos on goods and services at which point there is no longer any point in owning them.
Further, major hedge funds are invested in them now which is why the entire crypto market has been largely following the broader markets (i.e. the stock market) for the last few years (hedge funds rotate in and out of risky assets like stocks and cryptos and out and in to bonds and cash).
Add to that that I gather~90% of all Bitcoins are owned by just 100 individuals, and you have a recipe for complete failure since a handful of people can easily manipulate the market (and all cryptos follow the fate of BTC for some reason).

Reactions: gg83
Jun 12, 2022
And this is what's wrong with crypto, even people from Tom's hardware do not comprehend what devs said. The merge is not delayed! The difficulty bomb is. Eth grow faster than anticipated and we might merge on a new block but the time lines didn't change. Thx for contributing to the problem! This miss information is so dumb.
Watch it yourself and don't listen to this fud.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/v9be3m/sound_on_the_difficulty_bomb_all_core_devs_june

Shame on you Tom's hardware.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
And this is what's wrong with crypto, even people from Tom's hardware do not comprehend what devs said. The merge is not delayed! The difficulty bomb is. Eth grow faster than anticipated and we might merge on a new block but the time lines didn't change. Thx for contributing to the problem! This miss information is so dumb.
Watch it yourself and don't listen to this fud.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/v9be3m/sound_on_the_difficulty_bomb_all_core_devs_june

Shame on you Tom's hardware.

After listening to that call, Tom's might want to do an edit/clarification (ie in forum or article). I mean I certainly wouldn't mind one.

Anyways if Tom's info comes from another source great. Tom's can say, "Hey yeah we heard this call but our sources are saying this is still an issue"...or what ever TH's thinks is an appropriate answer in regards to their information collecting while keeping their sources anonymous if need be. Because to be fair here the call you posted and the information Tomshardware is going off, there is a good chance they are not using the same sources.

Reactions: Anubis01212
Jun 12, 2022
After listening to that call, Tom's might want to do an edit/clarification (ie in forum or article). I mean I certainly wouldn't mind one.

Anyways if Tom's info comes from another source great. Tom's can say, "Hey yeah we heard this call but our sources are saying this is still an issue"...or what ever TH's thinks is an appropriate answer in regards to their information collecting while keeping their sources anonymous if need be. Because to be fair here the call you posted and the information Tomshardware is going off, there is a good chance they are not using the same sources.
It's the same info... (they released it like all other sites not understanding it). Let's say they magically have a contradicting source. Who would you believe the actual dev call that discusses this merge openly, where they state its not delayed. Or the secret magic source from TH and all other blind posting sites? I'm glad you watched the video and took your own conclusions. TH is just going with the wrong flow cause it's easy.
The funny thing about this is ofc that you now know everything posted TH is probably not checked and validated.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
It's the same info... (they released it like all other sites not understanding it). Let's say they magically have a contradicting source. Who would you believe the actual dev call that discusses this merge openly, where they state its not delayed. Or the secret magic source from TH and all other blind posting sites? I'm glad you watched the video and took your own conclusions. TH is just going with the wrong flow cause it's easy.
The funny thing about this is ofc that you now know everything posted TH is probably not checked and validated.

Again I would ask for clarification from Tomshardware...fud is everywhere. I find Tom's is generally better than most but not perfect. No tech site is.

Reactions: gg83
Jun 12, 2022
Again I would ask for clarification from Tomshardware...fud is everywhere. I find Tom's is generally better than most but not perfect. No tech site is.
And how do we ask for this clarification? To be fair most media is covering this story wrong.
Yeah this article made it quite clear to me that they are like most tech sites, not verifying and rushing false stories, sad but a fact.

InvalidError

Titan
Reactions: gg83 and BX4096
Jun 12, 2022
Crypto pyramid schemes with unsustainable growth rates are crumbling? Sucks for the people at the bottom who got screwed out of whatever money they put in, good for the rest of the people who haven't been suckered by the crooks coming up with all of these new schemes to rob people.
Bit sour you missed the early boat there man? No need to be so condescending, get the articles correct on your site, we will do the financial side.
And yes there are definitely ponzi schemes out there as there are in the financial world as well. But saying all crypto is a ponzi scheme just proves you have 0 clue. I've worked in the financial sector for 10+ years and I guarantee you EVERY single bank in existance is running crypto projects, every forturne 500 has a crypto department. So it's kinda clear crypto is here to stay, the ponzi's will be filtered out as what happend with the .com bubble.
But in the end look at the top companies today, tech companies that thrived thanks to the .com bubble.

InvalidError

Titan
Bit sour you missed the early boat there man? No need to be so condescending, get the articles correct on your site, we will do the financial side.
It isn't 'my' site, I'm just a regular forum dweller who got promoted to mod for being around for 15+ years at the time.

While I didn't say ALL crypto is ponzi schemes, the cryptos in the linked article are definitely ponzi schemes for promising 20+% rates of return. No responsible financial product can promise that.

Reactions: TJ Hooker and gg83
Jun 12, 2022
It isn't 'my' site, I'm just a regular forum dweller who got promoted to mod for being around for 15+ years at the time.

While I didn't say ALL crypto is ponzi schemes, the cryptos in the linked article are definitely ponzi schemes for promising 20+% rates of return. No responsible financial product can promise that.
I can understand why you would assume that. But it's probably better to not make those statements if you know nothing about it (while I do agree when something looks to good to be true it probably is).
I'm heavily involved and not a believer of celcius myself but the article started with ethereum. So when people (defenitly mods) start screaming ponzi in the comments that reflects for people on the main article as well.
Ethereum is definitely not a ponzi and has an insane dev team behind it.

On a side note how do I get in touch with the author of the article to make it correct?

Jun 12, 2022
There is a twitter link next to his name and an instagram one too, you could try that.
LOL he just updated the article not rectifying his wrong statements but making it about something completely different 😂.
Damn you have to love writers.
Wel at least now he is trying to find the one interview where a 1-10% chance was mentioned that it won't happen, instead of listening to the call where they actually discussed it all and discussed the road map... He just wants to emphasize the negative (I can understand that in current climate). But now it's at least facts instead of wrong, leaving out the positive side 90-99% that it will happen, on time, as planned but ok.

Jun 12, 2022
Get over it. InvalidError is spot on with his statements. What did you invest a bunch and dont want to admit crypto has a ton of scammers and "ponzi" schemes?
That's not what I said. I just wanted them to get the facts straight. Now at least they are. Negative writing is fine by me, false statements not.
On top of that I fully agreed with InvalidError didn't I (I literally said there is ponzi's in there, as is in other investments)?
You don't need to worry about my investments man, a down market is still profitable all the same :).