Question Ethernet adapter Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V a bit slow?

I have three computers. Two of them are getting the full speed of my home connection which maxes out at about 118 mbps translating to about 14.8 MB/s at maximum speed.

Three computers:

MSI Gaming Plus Z370 - 13.5 MB/s max download speed
Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - 14.8 MB/s max download speed
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - 14.8 MB/s max download speed

• The download speeds are from the same sources, connected to the same router using the exact same Ethernet cable(s).
  • The Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V (MSI Gaming Plus) is rated for 1 GB/s Full Duplex and is the one misbehaving.
  • I tried updating drivers, but Windows and Driver Booster 6 (iobit) both said it was up to date, and the correct driver.
  • All of these computers listed are using their pre-installed onboard ethernet adapters.
Ideas?

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about such a small difference in download speed compared to the other two computers. Hardly worth investigating in my opinion.
But if you really insist, you could stick a new PCIe NIC in it and see what speed that gives you (but disable the on-board adapter or you'll get a resource conflict).

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about such a small difference in download speed compared to the other two computers. Hardly worth investigating in my opinion.
But if you really insist, you could stick a new PCIe NIC in it and see what speed that gives you (but disable the on-board adapter or you'll get a resource conflict).
I have tried that and it does perform like the others, but there shouldn't be any reason why the Gigabit controller caps an entire MB/s lower
a 40 GB game takes 51 minutes on my main PC
that same game would take 46 minutes on the other machines. Its enough of a concern for me to wonder what is going on. lol

The latency is also a bit higher as well (14 ms with closest server on the other two, but 22 ms with my main computer.)

The main reason I compared this machine to the other ones is because one is about five years old and the other ten years old, but they have faster network.

Last edited:
What happens if you copy files between your machine in your house. If you watch the resource monitor network tab you can see the speeds.

The goal is not to see if there are really difference the goal is to see if you can transfer more than 13.5MB. I strongly suspect you can. You likely get closer to 100MB since you will likely be able to almost max a gigabit connection.

What this would mean is your network is not actually limited to 13.5MB. This would mean it has to be a application issue which is much harder to find.

Make sure you do not have any so called "gaming" network software loaded. The motherboard vendor bundle all kinds of useless crap that causes more issues than it fixes. There are programs designed to reduce things like bufferbloat which is good for games but it will reduce the transfer speed. on some connections.

What happens if you copy files between your machine in your house. If you watch the resource monitor network tab you can see the speeds.

The goal is not to see if there are really difference the goal is to see if you can transfer more than 13.5MB. I strongly suspect you can. You likely get closer to 100MB since you will likely be able to almost max a gigabit connection.

What this would mean is your network is not actually limited to 13.5MB. This would mean it has to be a application issue which is much harder to find.

Make sure you do not have any so called "gaming" network software loaded. The motherboard vendor bundle all kinds of useless crap that causes more issues than it fixes. There are programs designed to reduce things like bufferbloat which is good for games but it will reduce the transfer speed. on some connections.
I will try that - thank you.

Also, I don't have any bloatware enabled on my motherboard :p Thanks for that though ;)

TRENDING THREADS