Ethernet adapter not showing up in device manager...

ex6tenz

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Okay, so I'll keep this as short as possible. It all started when I tried to setup a virtual machine with Hyper-V. As I was enabling the hyper v extensible virtual switch protocol on my ethernet adapter, I lost connection to the internet. I then tried to disable this feature on my network card, but still no connection. I proceeded by uninstalling the drivers, and as I did that I also got an option to delete the driver, which I did cause I had the driver ready to be re-installed in a folder on my desktop.

However, after I had uninstalled and deleted the driver, the "Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)" disappeared from the tab "Network adapters" in Device Manager.
Now I'm lost as to what I can do to make it appear in Device Manager again.
I have driver files ready, but where am I supposed to install this?`Usually I just right click on the device in device manager > Update driver software > Browse my computer for driver software and pinpoint it to the directory of the drivers and windows will do the rest, but I can't do that now, can I?

Also, I tried installing the drivers through "Killer Perfomance Suite", but this fails to install the drivers for some reason...
3dd62803ae.png

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
Hi

Look for PCI-Z

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_z.html

there is the original CPU-Z then GPU-Z

PCI-Z identifies components even if a driver is not loaded

see what it says about your motherboard and network chips?

If the Windows registry is corrupted maybe booting up off a Linux or Windows Pre installation Environment USB or DVD may show if the Killer NIC is working or not under a different operating system

I regularly use a Windows PE based on Win 7 called Make_PE3 by Wim

You can load windows 7 drivers for NIC's, Wireless devices Graphics Cards etc
all you need is a Win 7 or 7 SP1 DVD or WAIK for W7 or 7SP1 to provide the core files
and enough free space on your hard disk to build the project...

ex6tenz

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Alright so I downloaded the "Killer Performance Suite" installer from msi's website, and that actually let me install the drivers.
I still can't see anything in "Device manager" though, so I guess I'm no closer to solving this issue...

Hi

is the ethernet adapter on the motherboard?
or a PCI-e (or PCI) card?

You may need to get hold of specific configuration software for the Network card which has been re configured by the software or driver you installed if on a card or if on the motherboard make sure the NIC chip is enabled (from BIOS or UEFI)

System information programs such as Piriform Speccy may detect if any network interface is detected

There are lots of reports of problems with this model NIC
they usually require cleanup software to remove all trace of the original driver

regards

Mike Barnes

ex6tenz

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah the ethernet adapter is integrated into my MSI G45-Z87 motherboard.
I do currently have internet access, but through my ASUS USB-N53 network adapter, so thankfully I can still use my PC normally.
I checked with Piriform Speccy and unfortunately it didn't provide any useful information.
What kind of cleanup software are we talking about? I tried to find a trusted place to download the "Killer cleaner" software, but I've yet to find one. If that's what we're talking about then I'll keep looking.

So I have to uninstall the driver with "Killer cleaner", so that all traces are removed, and then I just re-install the driver and I should be good to go?
Thanks

ex6tenz

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Aight that's just friggin brilliant.... I ran the "Killer cleaner" software, and for some reason it messed up my wireless usb adapter's drivers too.... And it didn't make the ethernet adapter show up either. Great...

So now I'm sitting here trying to find a solution for this nonsense. After I had used the "Killer cleaner" software, I rebooted my computer > then the driver for the usb stick automatically re-installed itself, but hey, guess what? When I hit "Search automatically for updated driver software", windows is so saying "The best driver for your device is already installed"
Yet, in when I right click on the device and choose properties, it says: "The device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

And the best part of it all, it doesn't let me delete the drivers... I right click on the device > properties > driver tab and then I click on "Uninstall" there is no box to tick to delete driver files...
Uninstalling the drivers makes the device go away from the networks adapter tab in Device manager, however all I have to do to make it appear again is disconnect the device from my computer and plug it back in and it re-installs the drivers; which it obviously shouldn't be able to do if the drivers were deleted from windows...
So basically it just keeps re-installing the "Corrupted" drivers again and again and againt, and that doesn't really get me anywhere, now does it?

I'm sorry if my attidude is a bit grungy, but I've spent 7-8 hours to fix a problem with my friggin network adapter.. And as I try solution after solution, it doesn't get me closer to fixing this, only further away..

Hi

Look for PCI-Z

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_z.html

there is the original CPU-Z then GPU-Z

PCI-Z identifies components even if a driver is not loaded

see what it says about your motherboard and network chips?

If the Windows registry is corrupted maybe booting up off a Linux or Windows Pre installation Environment USB or DVD may show if the Killer NIC is working or not under a different operating system

I regularly use a Windows PE based on Win 7 called Make_PE3 by Wim

You can load windows 7 drivers for NIC's, Wireless devices Graphics Cards etc
all you need is a Win 7 or 7 SP1 DVD or WAIK for W7 or 7SP1 to provide the core files
and enough free space on your hard disk to build the project

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143529-make_pe3-program-to-create-portable-windows-7-pe/
or
http://reboot.pro/topic/11852-make-pe3-program-to-create-portable-windows-7-pe/

If the Killer NIC chip is not seen then adding a PCI or PCI-e NIC card
may be quicker than solving the problem by a clean Windows install

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution