Ethernet Adapter not working after power was cut - Windows 10

Sneakos

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
While trying to plug in a VGA cable, I accidentally turned off my power strip, which cut the power to my computer. When I turned it and my computer back on, I was unable to connect to the internet via Ethernet cable.

I went to device manager and under network adapter, it said "This device cannot start, code 10." I've tried reinstalling it, both automatically and manually from a CD and USB. I've done almost everything I can think of to fix this. I scanned and fix any errors on my hard disk, I've reinstalled all my USB drivers, I've power-cycled my router, I've tried different Ethernet cords, and I've tried to delete any corrupted files in my registry, but that must either not be a thing on Windows 10, or I am doing something wrong.

What could be the problem?

Processor: Intel i7
Motherboard: Asus

Solution
My guess is that you fried the Ethernet port on your motherboard. In my experience, any sort of power surge or abrupt disruption of current tends to result in the Ethernet port getting fried. My suggestion is to just get a wireless adapter or buy a pci ethernet card

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
My guess is that you fried the Ethernet port on your motherboard. In my experience, any sort of power surge or abrupt disruption of current tends to result in the Ethernet port getting fried. My suggestion is to just get a wireless adapter or buy a pci ethernet card

Solution

Gregor The Mad

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
are you getting lights on your Ethernet jack? if not then verify you have good connection (ie the cord is plugged in all the way) if still nothing then try replacing the Ethernet cable itself, if still nothing try reinstalling drivers. if still nothing then verify the port on your router (if they are on the same power stip it could have just as easily been the port on the router that fried) if you verify the port on the router is still good then resort to pcie Ethernet card.