Question Ethernet adapter suddenly dead. GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H REV 1 (windows 10 pro)

Apr 28, 2022
I was working on my desktop pc last night while listening to a youtube video and my system froze all of the sudden. I had to hard reset the system and upon restart my ethernet adaptor had no internet connection; when i ran the network troubleshooter the problems found were

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration
Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or serouce (DNS server) is not responding

This is my first time asking in a forum like this. I have searched the internet for answers. But nothing seems to work.
So far i have switched the ethernet cable with the one on the PS4; checked the ps4 had connection through ethernet: IT was working fine; i restarted the router; installed the latest driver; opened command promt and wrote a bunch of ip config commands; tried Technitium Mac Adress Changer to change the mac of my ethernet and local area connection (i can't seem to change the mac adress on the USB blue tooth adapter.

And nothing seems to work. This is an old mother board: GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H REV 1. ; running Windows 10 pro. It has worked like a champ for years and i was planning to retire it next year as i recently purchased a graphics tablet and i can't afford a new motherboard. The ethernet adapter is integrated to the motherboars so i'm kind of afraid it would be a hardware problem. I want to rule out software before getting a usb or pci express adapter that might patch up the problem until next year.

what steps can i take next? A live boot thumb drive to test the adapter?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I was working on my desktop pc last night while listening to a youtube video and my system froze all of the sudden. I had to hard reset the system and upon restart my ethernet adaptor had no internet connection; when i ran the network troubleshooter the problems found were

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration
Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or serouce (DNS server) is not responding

This is my first time asking in a forum like this. I have searched the internet for answers. But nothing seems to work.
So far i have switched the ethernet cable with the one on the PS4; checked the ps4 had connection through ethernet: IT was working fine; i restarted the router; installed the latest driver; opened command promt and wrote a bunch of ip config commands; tried Technitium Mac Adress Changer to change the mac of my ethernet and local area connection (i can't seem to change the mac adress on the USB blue tooth adapter.

And nothing seems to work. This is an old mother board: GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H REV 1. It has worked like a champ for years and i was planning to retire it next year as i recently purchased a graphics tablet and i can't afford a new motherboard. The ethernet adapter is integrated to the motherboars so i'm kind of afraid it would be a hardware problem. I want to rule out software before getting a usb or pci express adapter that might patch up the problem until next year.

what steps can i take next? A live boot thumb drive to test the adapter?
What do the LEDs on the ethernet adapter show?
A bootable Linux will allow you to determine if it is a Windows problem.

Apr 28, 2022
What do the LEDs on the ethernet adapter show?
A bootable Linux will allow you to determine if it is a Windows problem.

Thank you for your reply!

The speed led is orange, which means 1 gigabyte data rate and the activity led blinks; I'm puzzled because Technitium Mac Adress Changer showed the ethernet adaptor as active and fine , transfer curve and all.

I'm working on starting from a system rescue bootable pen drive, but it's gonna take some gymnastics because my motherboard only recognizes ps2 keyboards to get into the bios and i haven't seen a ps2 keyboard since 2005!

Apr 28, 2022
it's been impossible booting from a pen drive in this computer, it doesnt help that i have never used linux in my life i eneded up buying a cheap pci express ethernet adapter, that should arrive tomorrow... but i'm puzzled by the fact that windows shows the adapter as working and fine and still no internet. And no way to fix it. It just came out of the blue. This is the computer i do distance work from so having it down all of a sudden really hurts

Apr 28, 2022
and yet another update: I tried following i guide that gets to the point where i have to write on a command prompt:

"ipconfig /renew" and i get the following error message:
"An error ocurred while renewing interface Ethernet: unable to contact your DHCP server. request has timed out.

I tried following another guide to fix that error message and at the point where i need to restart my DHCP service i get another error message:

Windows could not stop the DHCP client service on local computer.

Error 5 access is denied.

i'm now looking for a guide to give myself configuration permissions for this service through the registry editor...