[SOLVED] Ethernet awful on new gaming PC

Sep 16, 2019
I have a new (week and a half) PC with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 and the Intel ethernet adapter. The internet is BRUTALLY slow, at first I thought it was due to poor internet in the condo I live in because it has a concrete structure but my PS4 is super fast online, it downloads games and updates quickly and online gaming is smooth (on ethernet).

My gaming PC's internet is going at a snail's pace. I'm downloading a 78MB file on my pc and it's taking 10 mins while my PS4 downloads a 2GB file in 7 mins... is the motherboard defective? Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

Edit: in Intel PROset Adapter configuration utility it says after I do a connection test "cable link status failed
Link speed 100mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds ". No clue what that means though.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
It is saying the device on the far end does not have gigabit ports but that is obviously not true since your ps4 can run faster.

It is likely a bad cable. Defective cables can run on some devices but not others. Be sure the cable is pure copper (no cca) and is not flat or thin it must have wire size 22-24.

The other option would be a bad port in the computer but not very likely on a new machine. You can check the drivers but that is also highly unlikely.
It is saying the device on the far end does not have gigabit ports but that is obviously not true since your ps4 can run faster.

It is likely a bad cable. Defective cables can run on some devices but not others. Be sure the cable is pure copper (no cca) and is not flat or thin it must have wire size 22-24.

The other option would be a bad port in the computer but not very likely on a new machine. You can check the drivers but that is also highly unlikely.

Solution
Sep 16, 2019

Thank you for your reply.

It could be the cable, this cable works well on the ps4 and my old gaming pc... I'll try to get a new cable that meets your specifications. It's a bit frustrating since the cable was 54 dollars, but would be less frustrating than a bad port.

Thank you very much.