[SOLVED] Ethernet bottlenecking download speeds.

drake2hite

Prominent
Dec 28, 2018
I live in a college apartment that comes with very fast internet speeds but mine are incredibly slow. When I do a speed test I get between 800 and 950 mb/s download and over 900 upload. I have used steam and origin neither one will download any faster than 5-10 mb/s. I am using an ethernet cable and I have tried my roommate's cable. My roommate has a similar pc and gets downloads of over 50 mb/s so i know it is not the cable or the internet that is the problem. What else could it be?

Solution
1. Lets ensure we are comparing apples to apples ... most speed sites report in bits/second (Kb/s or Mb/s, etc). Steam reports speed in bytes/second (MB/s or KB/s). The capitalization of the "B" matters.

2. Have you gone into your steam download settings and checked if you are limiting the speed at all?

3. If you are having issues with sustained downloads, it could be a bottleneck in your system ... like a full hard drive or something.
1. Lets ensure we are comparing apples to apples ... most speed sites report in bits/second (Kb/s or Mb/s, etc). Steam reports speed in bytes/second (MB/s or KB/s). The capitalization of the "B" matters.

2. Have you gone into your steam download settings and checked if you are limiting the speed at all?

3. If you are having issues with sustained downloads, it could be a bottleneck in your system ... like a full hard drive or something.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS