[SOLVED] Ethernet cable advice

Mittron

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
I was wondering if i connect my router with ethernet cable to my pc will the other people in the house still be able to use wi-fi on their devices and if yes could you list some good cables with about 20m in length

Solution
Not sure what you mean. If you were to try to use both the wifi and the ethrenet at the same time it will prefer the ethernet on almost all machines.

If you mean the name of the network, I am unsure why windows does that stupid stuff. It is purely a name and has nothing to do with the speed or how it is connected. If you are using the ethernet cable it will run at 1gbit speed or 100mbps if you have a router that does not have gbit lan ports.
That is why routers have both ethernet ports and wifi, they all can be used at the same time.

Finding good ethernet cables can be tricky lot of fake cable on the market. What you want to look for is cat5e or cat6 cable that is pure copper cable with wire size 22-24. Do not buy any CCA (copper clad aluminum) or any of the flat or thin cable.

When you consider the shipping costs there is not a huge difference between buying online and a local store. The advantage is it is much simpler to return something to a local store. Still you must still be careful even Walmart is selling that flat cable in their stores even though it is not a certified cable.

Key is to read the fine print. All the cat7 cat8 means nothing. You only need cat5e and only buy cat6 or some other number if it is cheaper.

Mittron

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Ty guys i just bought a cat7 over amazon seems to be working fine also it is 2.4gh when connected to the pc i assume i would have to get a different network adapter or something

Not sure what you mean. If you were to try to use both the wifi and the ethrenet at the same time it will prefer the ethernet on almost all machines.

If you mean the name of the network, I am unsure why windows does that stupid stuff. It is purely a name and has nothing to do with the speed or how it is connected. If you are using the ethernet cable it will run at 1gbit speed or 100mbps if you have a router that does not have gbit lan ports.

Solution