[SOLVED] Ethernet Cable Bandwidth at Certain Lengths

Hunter Holland

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
I have said in a previous thread that to increase network speed for file transferring I will be directly wiring two computers to the router instead of wirelessly sending all the data. So, computer 1 goes to the router. Computer 2 goes to the router. All with an ethernet cable. The problem is that computer 2 will be located in a different building to prevent data loss in a fire. That distance might be over 320 feet by the time the cable goes from computer 1, to the router, then to computer 2. Does the router act as a refresh point, where I don't have to account distance before it before data speed loss, or does the length matter all the way back to the source? (Computer 1) I need to achieve 1 Gigabit/sec. For getting over 320 feet would a cat 6a cable work since it is rated for 10 gigabit/sec so after 320 feet data transfer speed might decease but not down to below 1/10. (1 Gigabit/sec) Should I resort to fiber optic cable? Just let me know what you think would be the best way to go here. Thanks.

Solution
I have said in a previous thread that to increase network speed for file transferring I will be directly wiring two computers to the router instead of wirelessly sending all the data. So, computer 1 goes to the router. Computer 2 goes to the router. All with an ethernet cable. The problem is that computer 2 will be located in a different building to prevent data loss in a fire. That distance might be over 320 feet by the time the cable goes from computer 1, to the router, then to computer 2. Does the router act as a refresh point, where I don't have to account distance before it before data speed loss, or does the length matter all the way back to the source? (Computer 1) I need to achieve 1 Gigabit/sec. For getting over 320 feet...
I have said in a previous thread that to increase network speed for file transferring I will be directly wiring two computers to the router instead of wirelessly sending all the data. So, computer 1 goes to the router. Computer 2 goes to the router. All with an ethernet cable. The problem is that computer 2 will be located in a different building to prevent data loss in a fire. That distance might be over 320 feet by the time the cable goes from computer 1, to the router, then to computer 2. Does the router act as a refresh point, where I don't have to account distance before it before data speed loss, or does the length matter all the way back to the source? (Computer 1) I need to achieve 1 Gigabit/sec. For getting over 320 feet would a cat 6a cable work since it is rated for 10 gigabit/sec so after 320 feet data transfer speed might decease but not down to below 1/10. (1 Gigabit/sec) Should I resort to fiber optic cable? Just let me know what you think would be the best way to go here. Thanks.
You need to measure the distance from the router or switch to the computer, which should be up to 100 meters (328 Feet) to keep the max theoretical speed of 1 gigabit (125Mb/s).

Just because you might go over a couple feet it doesn't mean you will get disconnected. You will see a decrease in speed the further you go above 100 meters.

Speed will depends on the quality of components and the network cables.

Solution
the max length 330ft of the network cable is between two devices (Router being one); therefore, the max distance between you two computers can be more than 330ft as long as you have a switch or router in the middle.

The router will act as you called it a refresh point.

Since you only have a connection speed of 1000Mb/s, even CAT5e will be good enough.

Hunter Holland

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Thanks, that was very helpful. Since I only need 125 megabytes/sec (limit of hard drive speed) cat5e would probably be enough. Cat6 does run at a higher frequency which offers greater bandwidth and cat6a would be great for "future proofing" the system but unless the cable costs almost the same I will probably stick with just cat5e.
Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for the best quality/brand of cable to buy. I don't want to buy a crap cable than install it and realize that the speed sucks. Thanks.

Thanks, that was very helpful. Since I only need 125 megabytes/sec (limit of hard drive speed) cat5e would probably be enough. Cat6 does run at a higher frequency which offers greater bandwidth and cat6a would be great for "future proofing" the system but unless the cable costs almost the same I will probably stick with just cat5e.
I would stick with CAT5e, unless you're planning to upgrade all your devices (PCs, routers, etc) to support 10 Gbp/s.

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for the best quality/brand of cable to buy. I don't want to buy a crap cable than install it and realize that the speed sucks. Thanks.
I usually buy Monoprice Cat5e Ethernet Bulk Cable 350MHz, 24AWG, on 500ft or 1000ft boxes.
www.monoprice.com