[SOLVED] Ethernet cable disconnects and reconnects randomly

Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
Hi there! I've been checking for a few days now for a fix to this problem and I can't seem to find the direct answer. I'd consider reinstalling Windows 10 but that's as a last resort. Looking for suggestions. This has never been a problem until just a few days ago as well, right after I did something.

The only thing that I have done recently that caused this problem was I went into the control panel and temporarily disabled the network/ethernet cable while installing an app to avoid signing in. Once I was past the screen I re-enabled my ethernet cable. Up until that point I have never had a random disconnecting issue. Figured this would be the best place to ask for help.

The only thing I have tried to far is that I have went into the device manager, power management of each device (ethernet/WiFi just in case) and removed the ability for Windows to disable them for lower power.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Note: this event happens at total random moments. Sometimes it will happen sporadically and other times it won't happen at all, maybe once a day. At one time it turned off and on for about a solid 10 minutes.

Solution
I'd try and uninstall and reinstall the networking adapter's drivers. When installing said drivers, do so in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. For the sake of relevance, please state if you're working with a desktop or a laptop. If the latter, mention the make and model of the laptop. If the former, and not a prebuilt, please mention the make and model of the motherboard and your networking adapter(s). Include the version(not edition) of Windows 10 and lastly, use CPU-Z to see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing(listed under Mainboard tab).

Side note, are you working with a wired/wireless router? Have you tried checking to see if said router has any firmware updates pending?

Lutfij

Titan
I'd try and uninstall and reinstall the networking adapter's drivers. When installing said drivers, do so in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. For the sake of relevance, please state if you're working with a desktop or a laptop. If the latter, mention the make and model of the laptop. If the former, and not a prebuilt, please mention the make and model of the motherboard and your networking adapter(s). Include the version(not edition) of Windows 10 and lastly, use CPU-Z to see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing(listed under Mainboard tab).

Side note, are you working with a wired/wireless router? Have you tried checking to see if said router has any firmware updates pending?

Solution

Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016

I am on version 1890 of W10, stopped updating due to preference of this version. I'm on desktop, custom built (myself) with an MSI Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON motherboard on version 1.50, dated 3/25/19.

I will try and update the firmware and also the drivers. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding but I don't see how this can be a problem after manually disabling the ethernet and re-enabling it? Could something like that cause such a difference?

Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
Have you tried a new cable?

I have not, but the cable still works as intended. The issue stems from me manually disabling the ethernet connection when installing an app and re-enabling it. It's just inside of W10 and even displayed from Task Manager, the ethernet cable just completely disconnects and immediately reconnects, displaying the no WiFi logo in the bottom corner of the task tray and then the ethernet logo and connection reappears after about 4-5 seconds.

USAFRet

Titan
I have not, but the cable still works as intended. The issue stems from me manually disabling the ethernet connection when installing an app and re-enabling it. It's just inside of W10 and even displayed from Task Manager, the ethernet cable just completely disconnects and immediately reconnects, displaying the no WiFi logo in the bottom corner of the task tray and then the ethernet logo and connection reappears after about 4-5 seconds.
A faulty or substandard cable can do exactly that.

Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
A faulty or substandard cable can do exactly that.

I will look into it, it's just odd and completely convenient for the cable to be the issue immediately after what I did. I'm not trying to discredit or say that it's impossible, it's just the timing would be impeccable. Been using this cable for well over a year.

Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
After a couple of days, the issue has been resolved. I reset the network settings inside of W10 and the problem has yet to persist since Monday. I appreciate everyone's input, but without attempting to discredit it just seemed like all of these responses seemed to be unlikely considering a small disable and enable of the ethernet connection in the control panel.