[SOLVED] Ethernet Cable - Gash/damage

Jul 23, 2021
Hello,

I have a question regarding a CAT 6 cable. In my new apartment, there is an ATT fiber box in the closet and the apartment has a CAT 6 cable connecting to it and running into the wall where it splits and is connected to another ethernet cable (essentially so I can hookup the ATT modem in the living room).

I was looking at the ATT fiber box and pulled down the hood to make sure the ethernet cable was plugged in securely. Unfortunately, the apartment complex has the cable secured to the wall and it enters the ATT fiber box at an angle, so when I put the hood back on part of the cable was not at the opening but stuck between the hood and the box. It created a gash between 1/16 - 2/8 of an inch in the outer coating of the CAT 6 cable. You can see the gash and it did create an opening in the cable, but you can't see inside of the cable/coating.

I was able to adjust it so the cable went properly into the opening after that, but would this gash cause any performance issues?

Thank you

Solution
As long as you did not damage any of the wires inside it will work fine . The outside of ethernet cable is simple plastic. Its only job is to protect the inner wire pairs and keep everything together. I doubt it has any affect on the actual signals. Maybe if you stripped off large amounts it might have a effect but not just a cut. Now if this was outdoor cable where it could get wet you would need to tape over the cut to prevent water from getting in and damaging the inner wires.
As long as you did not damage any of the wires inside it will work fine . The outside of ethernet cable is simple plastic. Its only job is to protect the inner wire pairs and keep everything together. I doubt it has any affect on the actual signals. Maybe if you stripped off large amounts it might have a effect but not just a cut. Now if this was outdoor cable where it could get wet you would need to tape over the cut to prevent water from getting in and damaging the inner wires.

Solution
Jul 23, 2021
From what I saw, half the cable was at the opening and the other half was stuck between the hood and the box. It's in my closet, so there's no issue with any weather. Rather than having the cable going from the bottom and straight into the box, it's secured to the wall and enters at an angle, so is almost impossible to put the hood on without this happening (so I don't think I'll take that off again!).
Thank you