Ethernet cable not connected to router?

lusciouss

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
In my house we have a cat 6 ethernet port but we have no idea where it's connected to (now obviously we can just check through the attic, but we plan on doing that tomorrow to get everything done in one day). Our router has two ethernet cables connected to it, both cat 5e's. I don't know ** about this stuff but the cat 6 cable actually works and provides the same speed as usual, just a little more ping (still under 30ms).

I'm asking because we wanted to buy an ethernet multiport adapter so we would have an easier time wiring multiple ethernet cables to different rooms. Would this work? I apologize if this is a dumbass question but I am in fact a dumbass.

Hope you can help me out though, thanks.

Solution
No result can be suggested until you know where all the cables go.
No one out here knows how your house is wired.

Ideally, the situation is this:
All the ethernet cables terminate in a central location, and branch off to locations in the house.
At this central termination point, you'd have the router or a switch (depending on how many cables/rooms there are).
The "ethernet multiport adapter" you refer to is more commonly known as a 'switch'.

USAFRet

Titan
No result can be suggested until you know where all the cables go.
No one out here knows how your house is wired.

Ideally, the situation is this:
All the ethernet cables terminate in a central location, and branch off to locations in the house.
At this central termination point, you'd have the router or a switch (depending on how many cables/rooms there are).
The "ethernet multiport adapter" you refer to is more commonly known as a 'switch'.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS