[SOLVED] Ethernet cable not working between router and PC

Feb 21, 2021
Hi,
Just registered.
Issue: Trying to connect pc to router via ethernet cable, no lights on router or pc to indicate connection.
Cable ok, tried it in another pc. (plus a spare one)
Device manage says, cannot start it up, code (10).
It has been a while since I used the cable, (couple of years) have been using netgear wifi connection.
The reason for wanting to use cable is that I want to install new hard drive and install windows 7 (64bit), but if I don't have an internet connection I assume I won't be able to. Can't re-install netgear until windows installed. (bit of a chicken and egg situation)
The only changes I have made (due to intermittent start up problems) has been PSU, changed the BIOS chip, (read somewhere that a bad or failing one may stop it doing POST. Some thing worked, not sure what.
I have uninstalled the Realtek controller completely, then using wifi connection downloaded a windows 7 version from Realtek web site and installed it, no luck.
I assume the actual electronic item on the motherboard that the cable plugs into is not something that can be physically replaced?

Grateful for any advice you can give me.

Solution
I would like to try and find out as I would like to put the new one in just because it is more up to date.
Well, unless you need the newer bios, you have your answer--stick to the older version. Generally when it comes to firmware like this you only should update it if you need a feature in the new firmware. Otherwise leave it alone...

Ralston18

Titan
Ensure that only the wired network adapter is enabled. Wireless should be disabled.

Even though that Ethernet cable worked on another computer you should still try another known working Ethernet cable. Or two even....

Cables and ports can be quite sensitive about the required connectivity.

Check plugs and ports for signs of damage or debris.

Also: "Device manage says, cannot start it up, code (10). " It being the wired network adapter

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Feb 21, 2021
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me with the info.

In one last attempt to try and to resolve it, and as it was the only electronic part I changed recently, I changed the BIOS chip back to the original, and quess what!!, everything lit up like a christmas tree, and the device manager says the device is working. (and it is)

Out of interest would you know what is in the BIOS settings that would have an effect on it, there is obviously a different setting between the two.
I would like to try and find out as I would like to put the new one in just because it is more up to date. Although if the old one works it works.
I'll probably create myself a bigger mess tomorrow when I try and change the hard drive for the first time.

Thanks.