[SOLVED] Ethernet Cable Setup

Davor Vidojkovic

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014
Hey,
A few months ago my ethernet cable(cat 5e) started falling apart, a few wires got out of the connector somehow. Now, since I got a crimping tool and a new connector I tried following a youtube video. The order of the wires was correct so I decided it's time to crimp it. And so I decided my gaming and chilling on sub-par wifi has ended, but I wasn't met with the yellowish signal the laptop gives when an ethernet cable is plugged in. I checked if the wires made their way all up to the end, but they hadn't. I "uncrimped" the connector with a screw driver and after about half an hour of bothering with the connector and the cable I thought it was all done. However, the signal yet again doesn't turn on. Tried it on my brother's computer for work and it didn't work on their either. What could I have done wrong? I could take pictures of the connector with the wires if necessary.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Previous post of mine: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/wires-sticking-out-ethernet-cable-head.3572805/

Last edited:
Solution
As everyone else has indicated this is practice thing. It is almost impossible to show you how it feels for the wire slide in. Once you do it enough you can tell if you have it right....and sometime they still don't work.

Take and cut a couple inch piece of just one wire. Get it very straight and then slide into some of the various pin positions. You are not going to crimp it. You can feel the resistance when it slides into the one of the slots and you can feel when it hit the end of jack and can go no further. When you do a plug all 8 wires should slide the same way and stop at the same point.

There really is no other way but practice. Really you only make cable when you need custom lengths or maybe custom...

Ralston18

Titan
Take a very careful look at the ethernet cable itself and the connector.

Ethernet cables come in ether solid wire or branded wire.

The connector must match accordingly.

Also, do not use any copper-clad aluminum cable.

Be sure that you adhere to the 568B standard and orient the connector correctly with respect to pin numbers.

And it may take a few tries to literally get a feel for inserting the wires and making the crimp.

Reference:

https://www.showmecables.com/blog/post/rj45-pinout

Davor Vidojkovic

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014
Take a very careful look at the ethernet cable itself and the connector.

Ethernet cables come in ether solid wire or branded wire.

The connector must match accordingly.

Also, do not use any copper-clad aluminum cable.

Be sure that you adhere to the 568B standard and orient the connector correctly with respect to pin numbers.

And it may take a few tries to literally get a feel for inserting the wires and making the crimp.

Reference:

https://www.showmecables.com/blog/post/rj45-pinout
This cable worked before, it's not a brand new one. It was setup by my ISP and it was all fine till some wires stuck out. And now since I remade it with the pattern I saw off of the internet(white and orange, orange, white and green, blue, blue and white, green, white and brown, brown). The other end of the cable, which is connected to my router, has the same pattern.
The cable has some writing on it, if it helps.
C(UL) E204816 CM 75C UTP 24AWG 4PR ETL VERIFIED TO TIA 568-B.2 CATEGORY 5E PATCH

It takes some practice to get RJ45 connectors right. It probably took me 3-4 tries to get it right the first time. There is a little art and skill to it. I think you need to cut your old end off and start over. Once your crimp an RJ45, it really shouldn't be reused. Thankfully they are usually pretty cheap for your standard connectors.

Davor Vidojkovic

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014
It takes some practice to get RJ45 connectors right. It probably took me 3-4 tries to get it right the first time. There is a little art and skill to it. I think you need to cut your old end off and start over. Once your crimp an RJ45, it really shouldn't be reused. Thankfully they are usually pretty cheap for your standard connectors.
About the money part, the only problem is the virus going on and so many stores closing down.
By cutting of my old end, do you mean cutting the cable then stripping it off? If so, then I've done that as well. I could take a picture of all the sides of the connector.

As everyone else has indicated this is practice thing. It is almost impossible to show you how it feels for the wire slide in. Once you do it enough you can tell if you have it right....and sometime they still don't work.

Take and cut a couple inch piece of just one wire. Get it very straight and then slide into some of the various pin positions. You are not going to crimp it. You can feel the resistance when it slides into the one of the slots and you can feel when it hit the end of jack and can go no further. When you do a plug all 8 wires should slide the same way and stop at the same point.

There really is no other way but practice. Really you only make cable when you need custom lengths or maybe custom jacket colors.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Davor Vidojkovic

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014

There really is no other way but practice. Really you only make cable when you need custom lengths or maybe custom jacket colors.
Yeah, but when it comes to dealing with small things like that(especially when I can't straighten the wires and they keep retwisting themselves)my hands get sweaty and I start losing my temper haha

Yeah, but when it comes to dealing with small things like that(especially when I can't straighten the wires and they keep retwisting themselves)my hands get sweaty and I start losing my temper haha
You're not the only one. Just relax and breathe. And start working with the expectation that you're not going to get it, but you're doing it just to learn. After a few times you'll have learned enough that it will just magically work. :)