[SOLVED] Ethernet Cable Speeds

Sep 28, 2020
I have a Cat8 ethernet cable, but when I check my speed in network and sharing center, it is only had 1gbps (the same speed from a previous generation cable). How do I increase this?

Does the speed affect things like download speeds? And does getting a better motherboard or ethernet adapter make the speed go faster (if it supports faster speeds than 1gbps)?

Solution
The port controls the speed not so much the cable. This is like putting racing tires on your econbox car. The tires maybe rated to 200mph but the engine in your car is not going to let you go any faster than normal tires would permit.

Now let say you purchased a router with 10gbit port and a machine that also had 10gbit nic. Lets also say you have a ISP plan that lets you have a upload speed of 100mbps. So your machine would transfer the data into a buffer in the router at 10gbit rate but it would then transfer it from the buffer to internet at only 100mbps.

Your general home user with 1gbit ports might as well buy a quality cat5e cable and that will still likely be faster than most internet plans. Almost all other...

USAFRet

Titan
I have a Cat8 ethernet cable, but when I check my speed in network and sharing center, it is only had 1gbps (the same speed from a previous generation cable). How do I increase this?

Does the speed affect things like download speeds? And does getting a better motherboard or ethernet adapter make the speed go faster (if it supports faster speeds than 1gbps)?
"Cat8" is not even standardized yet.
https://www.cablesandkits.com/learning-center/what-are-cat8-ethernet-cables

In addition, the cable is only part of the equation. The actual LAN devices on both ends have an impact. The LAN adapters on your PC and the router.
Performance depends on the slowest device in the chain.

Download speed?
No. That is a result of what you pay your ISP for, and what the remote server will serve up to you.
The most magical cable in the world will not make a 100/10 connection from your ISP 'faster'.

Reactions: SamirD
The port controls the speed not so much the cable. This is like putting racing tires on your econbox car. The tires maybe rated to 200mph but the engine in your car is not going to let you go any faster than normal tires would permit.

Now let say you purchased a router with 10gbit port and a machine that also had 10gbit nic. Lets also say you have a ISP plan that lets you have a upload speed of 100mbps. So your machine would transfer the data into a buffer in the router at 10gbit rate but it would then transfer it from the buffer to internet at only 100mbps.

Your general home user with 1gbit ports might as well buy a quality cat5e cable and that will still likely be faster than most internet plans. Almost all other cables are a waste of money.

Solution