[SOLVED] Ethernet cable works for PS & not access point

Dec 21, 2019
Ok so I'm trying to connect an access point (TL-WR840N ) through a WAN cable. The problem I'm getting is:

"WAN Port is unplugged"

1. Router is connected to internet and works fine
  2. Long Cat6 cable I want to use works fine when I connect PS (I don't have a network port on my computer)
  3. Access Point connects to router when I use the short Cat5 cable that came with it

So my dilemma is that it seems that I have a router that works, a cable that works and an access point that works but together they don't work.

The one variable that I'm not sure about is the Cat5/6 connection difference. My understanding is that devices should work fine on Cat6 even if they are designed to have a Cat5 connection.

Help me!

Solution
The cable does not meet standards. Some equipment is more sensitive to out of spec cables.

This could be because the cable became damaged some how or it was a fake cable. There is massive amounts of fake cable on amazon and ebay and even sold in walmart. Any of that flat cable has wire that are too small to be certified and only works at short distances. The other form of fake cable you find is CCA cable. You want pure copper wire.

In any case you are likely going to have to buy another cable. In most case damaged cable is a loose end but it is not cost effective for people to replace these. If the cable is in the wall then you pretty much have to fix it.
The cable does not meet standards. Some equipment is more sensitive to out of spec cables.

This could be because the cable became damaged some how or it was a fake cable. There is massive amounts of fake cable on amazon and ebay and even sold in walmart. Any of that flat cable has wire that are too small to be certified and only works at short distances. The other form of fake cable you find is CCA cable. You want pure copper wire.

In any case you are likely going to have to buy another cable. In most case damaged cable is a loose end but it is not cost effective for people to replace these. If the cable is in the wall then you pretty much have to fix it.

Reactions: KarimKhattab
Solution
Dec 21, 2019

That makes sense to me. Thank you