[SOLVED] Ethernet cable

MrNasher96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Hi all, recently I’ve been having trouble trying to connect to the internet by Ethernet cable. What has happened is that when I go to boot my computer up and sign in, i won’t get any connection at all from my Ethernet cable but when I downstairs to reset the internet box and then the I get my Ethernet connection back. Can anyone help why this has happened because it seems strange I have to reset my internet box just to get my Ethernet cable to start working again

Solution
Ok thank you for the tips and I don’t get how the cable could be loose because my Ethernet cable works after I reset my internet box. Thats what confusing me a bit because surely If one of the wires are loose in the Ethernet cable then the cable won’t work at all until it gets re wired. Could it be the internet box as well because Iv had that for a few years
If the problem is an autonegotiation problem, the rebooting the router, causes autonegotiation to happen again. That can be just enough for it to work. You should check the link rate to see if it connects at 100 mbit rather than gigabit.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all, recently I’ve been having trouble trying to connect to the internet by Ethernet cable. What has happened is that when I go to boot my computer up and sign in, i won’t get any connection at all from my Ethernet cable but when I downstairs to reset the internet box and then the I get my Ethernet connection back. Can anyone help why this has happened because it seems strange I have to reset my internet box just to get my Ethernet cable to start working again
Does this ethernet cable go through the walls? Are there wall plates? Is it a "flat" cable?
Do you have your ethernet port set to auto negotiate? If not then set it that way.
It is most likely that your PC is having trouble negotiating the speed on your ethernet cable because it has a problem of some kind. Only 1 of the 8 wires not making connection is enough to mess up your connection.

MrNasher96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Does this ethernet cable go through the walls? Are there wall plates? Is it a "flat" cable?
Do you have your ethernet port set to auto negotiate? If not then set it that way.
It is most likely that your PC is having trouble negotiating the speed on your ethernet cable because it has a problem of some kind. Only 1 of the 8 wires not making connection is enough to mess up your connection.

I believe the wire is going though the wall but I did not do the wiring through the house my parents friend did that and how come it works when I reset the internet box? Is it because the connection from that one wire reset it self and makes a connection in the end

MrNasher96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Does that mean I need to get a new Ethernet cable wire?

Replacing cable that is in the wall is a huge pain.

Look at the wall jacks and make sure the color pattern is correct on both ends. Also make sure no wire appear loose on ether end. Most wall jacks you can carefully pull the wires out and cut off 1/8 inch and then repunch them in. Some you need a punchdown tool but many modern ones are toolless and the back wire cover pushed the wires in,

Note if someone ran the cable and put rj45 plugs on the ends it is going to be much harder to fix a wire issue. You need a special tool and practice to get the ends on correctly . You may want to consider using keystone jacks instead if you need to replace the ends. They tend to be easier to get right for beginners. Cost maybe a little cheaper because you don't have to buy a crimp tools but the toolless keystone I have seen run at least $5 each.

Also verify that you do not have any form of power save options turned on. These power save things do not always work the way they are suppose to.

MrNasher96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Replacing cable that is in the wall is a huge pain.

Look at the wall jacks and make sure the color pattern is correct on both ends. Also make sure no wire appear loose on ether end. Most wall jacks you can carefully pull the wires out and cut off 1/8 inch and then repunch them in. Some you need a punchdown tool but many modern ones are toolless and the back wire cover pushed the wires in,

Note if someone ran the cable and put rj45 plugs on the ends it is going to be much harder to fix a wire issue. You need a special tool and practice to get the ends on correctly . You may want to consider using keystone jacks instead if you need to replace the ends. They tend to be easier to get right for beginners. Cost maybe a little cheaper because you don't have to buy a crimp tools but the toolless keystone I have seen run at least $5 each.

Also verify that you do not have any form of power save options turned on. These power save things do not always work the way they are suppose to.
Ok thank you for the tips and I don’t get how the cable could be loose because my Ethernet cable works after I reset my internet box. Thats what confusing me a bit because surely If one of the wires are loose in the Ethernet cable then the cable won’t work at all until it gets re wired. Could it be the internet box as well because Iv had that for a few years

kanewolf

Titan
If the problem is an autonegotiation problem, the rebooting the router, causes autonegotiation to happen again. That can be just enough for it to work. You should check the link rate to see if it connects at 100 mbit rather than gigabit.

Solution

MrNasher96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
I might of identified the problem, I changed the cable from "Ethernet 1" and put the cable into "Ethernet 2" and then I went upstairs and unplugged the ethernet cable from my pc and plugged it back in and after I turned my pc on and I was connected to the internet straight away. I think its something to with my box downstairs, so im going to get a brand new box and see if that has solved the problem I have been having.