[SOLVED] ethernet cable ?

M2019

Reputable
Nov 14, 2019
hello guys i have a stupid question my ethernet cable in my pc is kinda shaky when its plugged in i can move it right and left easy is that normal or is there is a problem in my board slot ?

Solution
Generally the port will go disconnected if the cable moves not just give you errors.

You can test pretty easy leave a constant ping run to the router IP. If it is the cable you will see loss. If you get loss in the game but no loss to the router then it is not the cable. A bad cable will not cause increase ping times. Ping times are caused by data be held in a buffer. A copper cable always transmits at some percentage of the speed of light. The data either pass correctly or is dropped it will always take the same time.

The physical ports are all suppose to meet the standards. There is a very exact size for these with a certain margin of tolerance. The reason for the standard is so it all works together. Again you...

M2019

Reputable
Nov 14, 2019
It all depends how much it moves. As long as you do not get errors or the port going down you can ignore it. A ethernet cable tends to be pretty cheap so if it bothers you buy a new one.
it dosnt move so much i have no errors its working fine but sometimes i got packet loss and high ping in games so i thought it may be a problem

Generally the port will go disconnected if the cable moves not just give you errors.

You can test pretty easy leave a constant ping run to the router IP. If it is the cable you will see loss. If you get loss in the game but no loss to the router then it is not the cable. A bad cable will not cause increase ping times. Ping times are caused by data be held in a buffer. A copper cable always transmits at some percentage of the speed of light. The data either pass correctly or is dropped it will always take the same time.

The physical ports are all suppose to meet the standards. There is a very exact size for these with a certain margin of tolerance. The reason for the standard is so it all works together. Again you only reaslitic option if you think it is this loose condition causing your problem is to try a different cable. If it is a issue with the port on the motherboard that can't really be fixed so you have to hope it is the cable.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

M2019

Reputable
Nov 14, 2019

The physical ports are all suppose to meet the standards. There is a very exact size for these with a certain margin of tolerance. The reason for the standard is so it all works together. Again you only reaslitic option if you think it is this loose condition causing your problem is to try a different cable. If it is a issue with the port on the motherboard that can't really be fixed so you have to hope it is the cable.
dose that mean if my port is damaged my connection will keep disconnect and reconnect cuz that isnt happening its just my ping goes up and some packet loss in the game

Phillipson

Honorable
Jun 14, 2016
You always try simple fixes like rolling back your adapter driver and re-installing direct from manufacturer's website, etc. I'd recommend looking around the house for an extra Ethernet cable and give it a try. Other options would be eliminating the wired connection all together, opting for a external wireless NIC bought from Amazon