[SOLVED] Ethernet cables working between wall jacks and PCs but not between router and main switchboard

Sep 27, 2021
I've been trying to set up ethernet at my house, but the ethernet cables I buy online don't seem to work between the router and the main switchboard, although they work between the computer and the wall jack. Only a certain Y-cable, provided to us by the caretaker, seems to work between the router and the switchboard. Could you tell me what the difference between this cable (link 1) and a normal ethernet cable (link 2) is? Both seem to have RJ45 connectors but I've no idea why this one works but a normal one doesn't. I don't care about the telephone part of the wire.

Link 1: https://www.amazon.de/y-kabel4-lan-tae-5m-ST/dp/B01A8DFQ4S/ref=asc_df_B01A8DFQ4S/?tag=googshopde-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=354526902123&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15769466832269210804&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9043328&hvtargid=pla-791267406937&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=68409050541&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=354526902123&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15769466832269210804&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9043328&hvtargid=pla-791267406937

Link 2: Ugreen Cat7 Flat Shielded RJ45 Ethernet Patch Network Cable 5m Gold Plated Plug STP Wires for High Speed Computer Router Ethernet LAN Networking: Amazon.de: Computer & Accessories

Solution
That is some kind of dsl cable used on telephone wires. Hard to say what exactly it does but telephone wiring in general is not designed to carry regular ethernet. You might be able to rewire them but there are too many variable in how in wall telephone cabling is done to say for sure.

On a added note the flat ethernet cable you linked is a fake cable. First that does not meet the standard for cat7 cable, cat7 was never fully certified anyway. The thing that make it a fake cable is the wires are too small to meet the standards for a ethernet cable. This is true of almost every flat cable.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My assumption would be based in a non traditional or off schedule punch down between those points. The supplied cable from the caretaker must be on the schedule that the switchboard side is punched down to. Might be worthwhile to see if you can get another block, or change the schedule on that side in order to correct this.

If you search online you can find the schedules for the various types and if memory serves correctly B is the most common. It really doesn't matter, TBH, just so long as both ends are the same "schedule" even if off standard.

That is some kind of dsl cable used on telephone wires. Hard to say what exactly it does but telephone wiring in general is not designed to carry regular ethernet. You might be able to rewire them but there are too many variable in how in wall telephone cabling is done to say for sure.

On a added note the flat ethernet cable you linked is a fake cable. First that does not meet the standard for cat7 cable, cat7 was never fully certified anyway. The thing that make it a fake cable is the wires are too small to meet the standards for a ethernet cable. This is true of almost every flat cable.

Solution