Ethernet connected but internet not working

BirdieBrain

Reputable
May 23, 2017
Hello!
Yesterday the internet just stopped working. Both ethernet and WiFi. I then restarted both our routers, and the WiFi came back. My gaming PC (which is connected via an ethernet cable, is still not working). The internet-icon tells me that I am indeed connected and my internet-provider says that everything looks good from their point of view. But nothing that requires internet works (Skype, browsers, Steam, etc.)

I have tried re-installing the drivers, changing DNS settings, restarting my computer and uninstalling the network adapter (and installing it again). I have also tried the following commands in CMD:
- ipconfig/release
- ipconfig/renew
I have no idea what more I can do. I have searched for hours and hours, but nothing works. Could it be my network adapter that is broken?

My network adapter is: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

I don't know what information you would need, please leave a comment if you need more information about my computer etc, and I will provide it.

UPDATE: I have now tried to connect the computer to the WiFi, but that doesn't work either. The WiFi works on every other device (4 phones, 2 TVs and 2 laptops)

Appreciate any help!

Solution
If connecting the grey cable to the P2912 doesn't change anything, then I don't believe you have issues in this cabinet. You need to determine if the problem is with the PC or with the cabling. Two things to try. Connect a laptop to the same cabling as the PC. Does that work? Bypass the in-wall wiring and run a long cable over the floor for the PC. Does that work?
Since you have in-wall wiring, you should probably buy a simple cable tester -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM/

BirdieBrain

Reputable
May 23, 2017
That is how my internet-provider does things. I have something they call an "home central" that is connected to their system. But in order for us to get internet to two TVs and one computer, we needed another router so we could get more ports. The regular router (Zyxel) is connected via an ethernet cable to the homecentral. Another ethernet cable goes from the Zyxel router and up one floor to my computer. This has worked for about 4 years now, but suddenly it just stopped working.

kanewolf

Titan
Start by moving your PC cable to the "home central" box. Does that work?
It sounds like you really need a switch rather than a router for the second device. If the Zyxel is co-located with the home central device, then the WIFI from the two boxes could be competing with each other.

BirdieBrain

Reputable
May 23, 2017
I will try to explain in more detail. Sorry for sounding like I don't know anything about this, but that is because I don't. I will try to explain:

We have a cabinet in the wall. In this cabinet there are two boxes that were mounted there when we bought the house brand new. The first box is from the internet-provider. Its a HET-3012 (google for image). This box has two cables coming out. One is the power and the second is an ethernet cable. This ethernet cable goes to a ZyXEL P2812 router. It is connected to "WAN" on the back.

Out from the P2812 router goes one power cable and two ethernet cables (three if you count the one I mentioned earlier). One of those cables goes from "TV" and into another box that is in the cabinet. This box doesn't have any markings, but on one side it has 8 ports and on the other side, 4 ethernet cables comes out (no ports). These 4 cables goes in the wall and up to the different plugs we have around the house.

The second cable on the P2812 router goes from "PC" to another ZyXEL router called Exibel (model number: NBG6503. An ethernet cable goes from the Exibel and into the unmarked box.

I apologize for the length of the answer and that it may sound very confusing.

kanewolf

Titan
OK. The HET-312 is really a modem rather than a router. Your P2912 is your primary router. The box with 8 ports sounds like a patch panel.

So your PC is connected to one of the cables that goes to the "8 port unmarked box" (because it is an in-wall connection)?

A picture of the wall cabinet (or a couple, wide shot and closeup(s) ) might help.

kanewolf

Titan
OK. It definitely looks like the unlabeled device is a patch panel.

The yellow cable, which says "PC" goes to the WAN port on the NBG6503. The grey port comes back up and to the patch panel (I think).
What happens if you move the grey cable to the unused port on the P2912 that says "TV" ??

BirdieBrain

Reputable
May 23, 2017
The grey cable that goes from the NBG6503 goes to the patch panel, yes. If I put the grey cable between the patch panel and the P2912, nothing really happens. Both TV have internet, WiFi is still up, and my PC still don't have internet.

kanewolf

Titan
If connecting the grey cable to the P2912 doesn't change anything, then I don't believe you have issues in this cabinet. You need to determine if the problem is with the PC or with the cabling. Two things to try. Connect a laptop to the same cabling as the PC. Does that work? Bypass the in-wall wiring and run a long cable over the floor for the PC. Does that work?
Since you have in-wall wiring, you should probably buy a simple cable tester -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM/

Solution

BirdieBrain

Reputable
May 23, 2017
At first I believed it was a problem with the cable, as it didn't work on my macbook either. But if there were something wrong with the cable, I thought that it shouldn't tell me that I was connected to the internet.

kanewolf

Titan

If only some of the wires are connected you could get a false reading. A good reason for the cable tester.