Question Ethernet 'Connected' but 'No Internet'

jerry2304

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
My main connection to the internet for my PC has always been Ethernet. It has worked perfectly fine, but today, Ethernet suddenly stopped working while I was on a call. The cable is 'Connected', but there is no internet available from it.

I have tried many solutions already. I have unplugged and replugged the cable into multiple sockets on the router, as well as rebooting my router, with no change. The odd thing is, only my Ethernet has been affected, while my normal WiFi connection, also through the router, still works fine.

I am totally lost on this issue. Should I call the company or is there a fix?

jerry2304

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
only pc using ethernet? check the light on the network port?
malware scan the system? check ipconfig?

Yes, only my PC uses ethernet. On my router, the light shows to be green, but on my PC it's yellow/orange. I did a malware scan, and actually found a piece of malware, but it did not do anything. As for ipconfig, I don't know what to do to check that for my issue.

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Run ipconfig /all from a command prompt and post the results here, do it for both the wired and wireless connection then we can check what the issue is.

If you see your address as 169.254.xxx.xxx then you have an issue with either your router handing out DHCP addresses or the cable, for 99% of people at home both connections should be on the same IP range e.g, 192.168.0.x, or 10.0.0.x etc.

The 169.254.x.x basically means I have a live cable plugged in me but I don't know what to talk to, usually fixed by replacing the cable or checking the settings on whatever hands out DHCP addresses.

TRENDING THREADS